JRony
1 Copper

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 Laptop that freezes up

So I am having this problem on both Windows and two different linux distros (Ubuntu and Arch Linux).

I have contacted Dell support (live chat) and it was a terrible experience: the person ran the hardware tests remotely which did not find anything (obviously) and then started trying to "Optimize my browser performance" by removing cookies, resetting DNS settings, trying to install Opera, and other random stuff that does not make any sense given the issue.

I checked the journalctl in Ubuntu but it is not recording anything prior to the crash. In windows there isn't any data collection after the crash as well. Will try to call the support this time. From what I've observed, it is always happening when idle on a Linux distro, but then again, it is also happening when doing something on Windows.

Sometimes, after the system freezes, the LED will flash: 2 amber - 1 white.

0 Kudos

@JRony have you contacted support yet to get a replacement motherboard organised?

Can you confirm you are running the latest BIOS revision on the system?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
JRony
1 Copper

@Dell-Alan D I am running the latest version of the BIOS.

So I have called the support and it was also not a great experience but in the end I got an onsite appointment to replace the motherboard.

The first time I called, the person noted everything I described and after talking to someone else for a few minutes, concluded that I indeed needed a replacement of the motherboard. He asked me when I was available the next day (I said 9 am) so that the company doing the repair could call me to schedule the appointment. The next day, no call, so I decided to call the support again at 11am. I told the person that I was supposed to get a call following the support of the previous day but did not get anything. Then this person told me something entirely different: I was not supposed to get called this day because it usually takes 2-3 days to get the request to this "different department of Dell"  and that the replacement would most likely happen the next week (sorry what?) because this part "may have to come from the US" (I live in Montreal, Canada). After complaining for some time about the unprofessionalism of Dell here (saying something one day and the opposite the next day), this person told me that it is because it is a different company handling the repair (so now it is not a different department, it is a whole other company) and that she could not do anything. In the end, this 2nd person told me to hold for a few minutes, and when she came back, the appointment magically moved to the next day. Then, I received a confirmation mail about the appointment that had a mistake on my phone number so I had to call a third time.

Edit / Update: a technician from Dell came the next day and replaced the motherboard (still the same rev A00) and the memory stick that was on the slot 0. I have not had any problem in the last 2 days since that on both OSs.

0 Kudos

@JRony that's good to hear that the replacement motherboard resolved the freezing issues for you. With regards to the problems with service, I would recommend lodging a complaint with the booking technician for them to escalate the issues with a manager.

Should you have any further problems with the system, please get hesitate to reach out to me on the forums.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

We had a lot of Dell e7470 ( the Dell laptop version before the e7480) that had a problem with lockups... turns out it was a defective Intel m.2 SSD: https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/33708/Dell-e7470-laptops-locking-up-intermittently-because...
0 Kudos
Elsa_Frozen
1 Copper

I see the same thing. I can't remember freeze-up once while connected with the docking, but now more than 50 freeze-ups while on battery or plugged in. So I think your observation is key to the problem.

0 Kudos

@Elsa_Frozen thanks for your contribution. Lock-ups and freezing can be caused by both software and hardware and can be quite tricky can pinpoint.

With the above comment about the Intel SSD's, if it was a batch issue it would be highly unlikely for the same issue to appear on drives made a year later.

For the freezing that you are experiencing, can you help me out with some additional details please - 

a) When the system locks up, its it a hard lock up where you have to restart the system or does the system fix itself?
b) Do you get any error messages before or after the lock ups?
c) Are the lock ups temperature related?
d) Are the lockups always within the Windows environment or can it happen pre Windows?
e) Have you run the ePSA diagnostics to check for any hardware issues or error codes? (To run the ePSA diagnostics hold down the Fn key and power on the system)
f) Are you running the latest BIOS and drivers on the system?
g) Have you tried reinstalling Windows at any point to address the freezing issues?

I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Kyks20
1 Copper

I found out that if i lunched safe mode. PC was fine. and bs's only showed after i got artifacts on screen in normal bootup. so i uninstalled video drivers and i run pc on windows basic video driver. all good. so i manually installed drivers from intel assistant and now pc looks freeze free and no BS too. it looks like sometimes video drivers are not installed correctly or something and that causes the bs and freezes.

Win 10 pro version 1903 (build 10.0.18362)

and video driver is now 26.20.100.7372 used to be 25.20.x.x don't remember exact.

i hope this help some people. At least it helped me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trung Cau
1 Copper

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 Laptop that freezes up...Solution

I have a Latitude 7480 Laptop that freeze up all the time ( I am an EE and currently hold MCSE, meaning I know hardware, software and Windows). After much investigated and observation, did some modification with thermal conductivity and dissipation...

Now my laptop is running all night without any issue, nor freeze and faster than brand new unit. Dock , undock, battery , AC adapter ...etc...no more issues.

Feel free to contact me then I will send you images for DIY.

Best regards,

Frank

0 Kudos