Jjwhack
1 Copper

Dell Latitude E5470 (Plugged in, not charging)

Hey guys ever since yesterday my laptop started to give me the message that my power adapter was not recognized even if it is an official dell adapter. However, after I receive this message I replug the AC adapter to no luck, because if gives me the message under the battery logo that it is plugged in but not charging. Any help? -My battery health is at 91% after checking this morning -The laptop charges when it is turned off -One method I have tried is disabling/uninstalling the ACPI battery thing in the device manager, but that was no help. I will try removing the battery and then uninstalling the ACPI controller tomorrow, but are there any tips on what to do?
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
nyc10036
4 Tellurium

Re: Dell Latitude E5470 (Plugged in, not charging)

Dell has a Troubleshooting for batteries. Google it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@Jjwhack wrote:
Hey guys ever since yesterday my laptop started to give me the message that my power adapter was not recognized even if it is an official dell adapter. However, after I receive this message I replug the AC adapter to no luck, because if gives me the message under the battery logo that it is plugged in but not charging. Any help? -My battery health is at 91% after checking this morning -The laptop charges when it is turned off -One method I have tried is disabling/uninstalling the ACPI battery thing in the device manager, but that was no help. I will try removing the battery and then uninstalling the ACPI controller tomorrow, but are there any tips on what to do?

@Jjwhack thanks for reaching out to us. If the hardware is failing it could be a sign of a failing charger, the dc-in port on the motherboard or it could be the motherboard itself. 

My recommendation here would be to first check the ac adaptor status in the BIOS to confirm if it is a hardware failure.

Power on the system and keep tapping the F2 key repeatedly in quick succession. Once in the BIOS, access the General Tab and then Battery Information. You are looking for the information under the battery image that gives the status of the Ac Adaptor. What does it say here for the ac adaptor?

If the ac adaptor is recognised correctly in the BIOS then please follow the steps in this troubleshooting article - https://www.dell.com/support/article/ie/en/iedhs1/sln296542/system-battery-shows-plugged-in-not-char...

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Jjwhack
1 Copper

Hi, sorry for the late reply but when I plug in my adapter and check it in BIOS, the adapter is showing up as unknown and the charging status goes into idle. But when I replug in the adapter, it sometimes recognizes it for 3-4 seconds then goes back to discharging or idle.  My laptop charges when it is turned off and shows the plugged in not charging error when turned on.

Does this mean I need to replace the adapter? 

0 Kudos

@Jjwhack wrote:

Hi, sorry for the late reply but when I plug in my adapter and check it in BIOS, the adapter is showing up as unknown and the charging status goes into idle. But when I replug in the adapter, it sometimes recognizes it for 3-4 seconds then goes back to discharging or idle.  My laptop charges when it is turned off and shows the plugged in not charging error when turned on.

Does this mean I need to replace the adapter? 

From the diagnostic information you have provided it would suggest the fault is either with the ac adaptor or the power cord.

Do you have another ac adaptor you could test on the system?
Do you have another system you could test the ac adaptor on?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos