Start a Conversation

Unsolved

62 Posts

April 5th, 2019 15:00

Dell Latitude E7250 noisy and running battery down too fast

Hi ,

I am out of ideas. The laptop became noisy a couple of weeks ago and I noticed I had to keep charging my battery. Dell came in and changed the heat transfer unit (not sure if that is the name for it) and also new motherboard . I asked the technician to update the bios which he did as I wouldn't have a clue how to do it, Basically the noise was still there although admittedly less noisy but battery only lasting a 90 mins or so. I decided to buy a new battery (expensive). It arrived about 3 or 4  days ago. Great - silence!!- Noise gone and battery lasting 5+ hours.  Now the noise has restarted and battery is lasting a lot less again 2-3 hours . At this present moment the noise level is there but not terrible and battery says 37% - 1 hour so as it should be. When charging the noise level is far higher.

i really don't know what to do - I have updated Windows 10 today in case that would help and have shut down and restarted a couple of times. Laptop is 3.5 years old and very well used. I know the  storage is going down and I have about 20gb space left and keep moving stuff onto the E drive where I keep a memory stick in. 

How can I get it the laptop silent again like it was immediately I got the new battery a few days ago and therefore the battery can last longer please? I know more than the average person but not fabulously computer literate so please make any instructions to try straight forward for me . I am now being told that I have 50 mins left which is 30%!! This is ridiculous with a brand new battery which was perfect a couple of days ago.

Thanks 

April 6th, 2019 05:00

Thanks but I had already run the short diagnostics test and there were no problems. I have just let the thorough 30 mins one run and again no problems so you can see just why I am flummoxed about this problem. Am desperate to sort it before I fly on Easy jet which has no electric sockets to plug in to as I need to work while am on the plane!!

Do you have any suggestions please? Thanks

5.6K Posts

April 6th, 2019 10:00

Are you updated to the latest BIOS?

April 6th, 2019 14:00

@nyc10036  I would have uninstalled and reinstalled the battery driver as suggested if it had told you how to reinstall after uninstalling or at least that is the way I read it!! Thanks but some that stuff I would rather Dell techies went into my laptop remotely and did rather than me trying and messing it up!!

April 6th, 2019 15:00

@nyc10036   I asked the techie who put the new heat transfer unit and new motherboard in last week to update the bios so I presume he did it correctly . I did  see him ponder over which one and click one of them!!

April 6th, 2019 16:00

@nyc10036  Thanks  I didn't know you could do that!!  Bios IS A20.

Heat transfer system is now making such a noise as it is on charge yet again that it is slowing down my typing!!!

5.6K Posts

April 6th, 2019 16:00

@myprinterproblem wrote:

@nyc10036   I asked the techie who put the new heat transfer unit and new motherboard in last week to update the bios so I presume he did it correctly . I did  see him ponder over which one and click one of them!!

If you go into BIOS at bootup, you should be able to see your BIOS version.

It should be A20 since that is the latest version and is marked Urgent.

There is a version for laptop with docking socket and one without.

5.6K Posts

April 6th, 2019 18:00

@myprinterproblem wrote:

@nyc10036  Thanks  I didn't know you could do that!!  Bios IS A20.

Heat transfer system is now making such a noise as it is on charge yet again that it is slowing down my typing!!!

Not sure what to tell you except to contact Dell again if you are under warranty.

No Events found!