Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2022 18:00

Dell Latitude e5470 battery issues, but it's not the battery

I have a Dell Latitude e5470 that I purchased used a couple years ago.  It worked well enough until just recently.  Now, while the laptop recognizes the battery, the battery won't charge (it's "stuck" at 62%), and if I unplug the laptop from power, it instantly dies as if it just had the only power source pulled.  The issue has crept up a bit as opposed to being a sudden failure, as it would previously randomly die while on battery power occasionally, and then occasionally got to be more often until now when it instantly dies when I pull the plug.

I know the issue isn't the battery because I purchased a new (Dell OEM) battery while the issue was still intermittent and both batteries exhibit the exact same issue.  One battery is currently at 62% charge and the other at 68% charge, and the laptop will not charge either of them further, nor will the laptop work off of either battery.  I even tried the battery in another laptop (including the battery cable in case the cable might be the problem) and it powered the other laptop with no problem.  So the issue is definitely localized to my laptop.  

At this point, I'm kind of resigned to the conclusion that I have a bad charging circuit on my motherboard, but figured I'd post here on the forums to see if anyone has any other ideas before I purchase a replacement and sell this one as "works great while plugged in".  

Thanks in advance!

-Doug

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 19:00

By battery cable I assume you mean the adapter? If the adapter and battery work fine in another laptop then it could be either a DC jack on the laptop or the charging circuit on the MB but like you I am leaning more toward it being an MB problem.

September 29th, 2022 14:00

Thank you for your response, and sorry for my delay.

By battery cable, I mean the cable that connects between the battery and motherboard.  Since the laptop works with the power adapter plugged in, pulling the plug immediately kills the laptop, and the batteries work in another laptop (i.e. they have a charge), I didn't bother trying the power adapter on another laptop as everything points to it being an issue with the motherboard itself.  Just figured I'd see if there were other things I was missing, like a newly released BIOS update gone horribly wrong, or something like that!  But that doesn't seem to be the case.

No Events found!