Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Dell Universal Dock D6000- 3 Monitors Latitude 7490

I just opened a ticket with Dell support again and this time was told it is a compatibility issue and to contact Dell Sales and then disconnected immediately on me. I guess it's better than telling me that Windows 10 Enterprise is "custom" software and they cannot do anything with that OS, which was their response last time.

If you go dell.com and select any of the Latitude 7490s > Accessories, the D6000 is the very first item listed under Docks & Port Replicators:

Conveniently dock any laptop equipped with USB-C or USB3.0 ports with the Dell Universal Dock - D6000. You’ll be able to connect up to three 4K displays simultaneously. A single USB-C cable connection allows you to transfer audio, video, data and power - enabling a fast and convenient docking experience. It also eliminates the need for an additional power adapter, keeping your desk neat and tidy.

If you click on details it only lists the 7480 as far as "designed for".

I'm not seeing a newer model dock that would seem to go with this model of laptops.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

We're seeing similar issues with these docks anytime a third monitor is introduced - all latest drivers and firmware installed.  Mouse movement becomes jittery intermittently.  When the mouse is plugged directly into the laptop the issues go away.  I don't think Dell should be claiming three monitors are supported with these docks.  There are reports of issues like this all over the internet.  I believe its a throughput problem with USB-c.  Three monitors at decent resolution is just too much for it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi All,

Late to the party, I understand, but just thought I'd add a bit of my own understanding of the D6000 here. 

As far as I am aware, the first two displays connected to the D6000 will use the DisplayLink software, but the third will then use DisplayPort Alt-Mode as this is how Dell designed the D6000 dock to integrate the two technologies.

More information is available in this thread: https://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65335.

Hope that helps explain things a little more...

Regards,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

If this is accurate Dell needs to take notice here and start providing guidance.  These docks don't just work out of the box as expected with three monitors.  We just returned ours.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

@AndrewJDawson wrote:

Hi All,

Late to the party, I understand, but just thought I'd add a bit of my own understanding of the D6000 here. 

As far as I am aware, the first two displays connected to the D6000 will use the DisplayLink software, but the third will then use DisplayPort Alt-Mode as this is how Dell designed the D6000 dock to integrate the two technologies.

More information is available in this thread: https://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65335.

Hope that helps explain things a little more...

Regards,

Andrew

@AndrewJDawson  according to the D6000 manual here, DisplayPort Alt Mode is only used when the system doesn't have the DisplayLink driver installed, the display is connected via HDMI, and the dock is connected to the system via USB-C (and the system's USB-C port actually supports DisplayPort Alt Mode, which not all systems' USB-C ports do.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have a 7490 and a D6000 connected to 3xAsus 24" monitors.  I used "Dell Command | Update" to update all system firmware, drivers, and even an update for Dell Dock.  Afterwards, I could still only get any 2 of the 3 outputs to work at the same time.  I even went directly to DisplayLink support site and installed the latest driver, but still couldn't get #3 online.  It wasn't until I went to the Dell support site, explicitly searched for D6000, and ran that firmware update (which requires you to remove all connections except USB-C to computer and power) that my issue was fixed.  Afterwards, I rebooted and FINALLY got all 3 monitors working!

NOTE: After D6000 firmware install, I shutdown the PC, disconnected the USB-C to D6000, and unplugged D6000 from power for 10 seconds.  Then, I reconnected all cables and powered on the laptop.

Hope this helps someone else!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi,

Applying the firmware update to the D6000 Dock worked for my 7390. Go here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/audhs1/product-support/product/dell-universal-dock-d6000/dri...

Make sure when you have finished and restarted your PC, that you remove the power plug from the dock to reboot it.

Steve

0 Kudos