Tony7758
1 Copper

Dell driver and Download site giving me the wrong bios update?

I have a Dell Latitude E5450 laptop with the docking port on it. I went to the dell download site today and and used the "detect drivers" option to look for needed updates. I did enter my service tag first. It shows 5 updates needed. One of them is this bios update.  "Dell Latitude 5450 System Bios without a docking socket".

There is another one called "Dell Latitude E5450 System Bios with a docking socket on the bottom of the system". My laptop has the docking socket. Why is the Dell site telling me I need the 5450 Bios and not the E5450 bios? Both bios files last updated 1-11-2018. The two bios files are not the same size. 

I have not done this update yet.

Tony7758

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nitmd
1 Copper

Re: Dell driver and Download site giving me the wrong bios update?

I have an E5550 with the same issue.  I also called tech support as I got a recommendation from the automated Dell update app to do this.  My machine is out of warranty so they really don't want to talk about it, but the tech finally did tell me to update to the BIOS for machines without a socket.  That was immediately followed by some "you are out of warranty" language that led me to believe if I follow their advice and brick my system, it isn't their problem.  I have not upgraded as I don't know what to do either.

0 Kudos
Tony7758
1 Copper

Re: Dell driver and Download site giving me the wrong bios update?

I have not updated it yet either. It is not high on my list. When I do I will pick the one I think I need. 

0 Kudos