Mfort0501
2 Bronze

Dell latitude 5570 shuts down when HDD connector plugged in

Jump to solution

The laptop boots normally when the HDD connector isn't plugged in, but automatically powers off after a few seconds whenn it is. What could be the problem here? Is it a defective connector? I just bought the connector off ebay. How do I know the problem isn't with the laptop itself? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ejn63
7 Gold

Re: Dell latitude 5570 shuts down when HDD connector plugged in

Jump to solution

With old style drives, the end of the chain needed to be terminated (I'm referring to old ST-412/506, SCSI, etc. I've not seen a no-boot in any SATA system when a cable is connected (but the drive is not).

I think whatever issue there is, exists within the cable itself.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ejn63
7 Gold

Jump to solution

Could be the cable, the drive or the mainboard port.  If you have another drive to try, that's next.  If it does the same, have the cable replaced by the seller.

0 Kudos
Mfort0501
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I tried with an SSD and regular hard drive with no change. The laptop basically powers off after a few seconds whenever the connector is plugged. I'm guessing this is  some kind of safety thing and the cable is defective. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
ejn63
7 Gold

Jump to solution

Sounds like a misplaced ground somewhere in that cable.

Here's the OEM part:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=27223

0 Kudos
Mfort0501
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Here's a Question for you: if a working connector was just plugged to the motherboard without being plugged to a hard drive or SSD, would thte computr still boot? Because mine doesn't when I just do that. Seems like the computer is turning off due to an electrical issue.

0 Kudos
ejn63
7 Gold

Jump to solution

With old style drives, the end of the chain needed to be terminated (I'm referring to old ST-412/506, SCSI, etc. I've not seen a no-boot in any SATA system when a cable is connected (but the drive is not).

I think whatever issue there is, exists within the cable itself.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Mfort0501
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

That's what I thought as well. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos