Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2022 06:00

Dell latitude e5400 wireless card upgrade

Hello I am currently l have 5 of these Dell latitude e5400 laptops that I want to upgrade the wireless cards on. I was wondering what wifi cards I should get for them I am trying to refurbish them I was thinking of buying Intel dual band-ac 7260 mini pcie wireless cards but I am not sure if they will get an error message in the bios or they just won't be recognized by them because they are newer

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

Your laptop uses a mini-PCIe card, a half-height card, same as my laptop. As long as you get that format, it will fit. If there are drivers (and most should install automatically via Windows Update) it will work.

A couple of our forum experts use and recommend this model: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00MV3N7UO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be careful when disconnecting and connecting the tiny antenna plugs that fit over the tiny posts on the card (kind of like snap fasteners on a coat). They are fragile. And be careful to note which sides the white and black cables connect to before you disconnect the existing card.

Whenever touching components or working inside a computer, wear a grounded wrist strap, also called anti-static wrist strap, ESD wrist strap, or ground bracelet. I know many people do such work without this, but it's a cheap and sensible precaution. Rest the laptop on an anti-static mat or at least a reasonable alternative such as corrugated cardboard.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Welcome to the Dell Community @ccr-admin 

What operating system are you running???

64 or 32 Bit???

What card do you have installed now???

Best regards,

U2

18 Posts

December 8th, 2022 08:00

I have windows 10 pro on most of them They seem to work fine with windows 10 but I want to upgrade the wifi cards half height pcie cards to more modern ones I plan on refurbishing then I own a computer store

No Events found!