Highlighted
divergex
1 Copper

E5470 Wireless Card Replacement

I am having a problem with a client, whose E5470 (purchased 11/2017) is not working properly with the built in VPN in Windows Server 2016. My own Dell (an older E5430) that also runs Windows 10 pro works fine, as does a Dell desktop running windows 7 pro.

The E5470 can connect to the VPN, but can't see any drives, shares, or even the server. It works fine connecting to the domain controller when in the office, with full access to shared files. After hours of testing, troubleshooting, Google searches, and general frustration, I am thinking that perhaps the Qualcomm wireless card may be the culprit. However, I do not know if this card can be replaced in this model, and if so, is there an Intel or other card that is the same size?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: E5470 Wireless Card Replacement

I'd be a little surprised if the WiFi card turned out to be the culprit for VPN issues, but it's not impossible.  If you happen to already have a Gigabit Ethernet to USB adapter, it might be worth testing with that first, but if not, then WiFi cards aren't expensive.  The E5470 uses an M.2 slot for its WiFi card, and the best Intel WiFi card readily available in that form factor is the Intel 8265.

There's also a newer 9260 model, and although its specs are enticing, I haven't seen that card sold in any actual systems yet or offered directly from major retailers.  It's only available through third-party sellers that list on some major sites like Newegg and eBay, which makes me question how those people are getting their inventory and whether that inventory is genuine.  Some people have bought them and found that they work, but Chinese manufacturing supply chains have problems with selling "scrapper" cards, which are genuine cards that didn't quite pass the QA check, and also "second run" cards, which is when the manufacturer that was contracted by Intel (in this example) performs unauthorized additional production batches to generate inventory that the manufacturer sells directly to others for a profit, but those second run cards don't always have the same QA checks and sometimes even use cheaper parts/materials.  And then of course there's the risk of a completely counterfeit product.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Also, out of curiosity, which VPN solution built into Server 2016 are you referring to?  My first thought was DirectAccess, but that requires clients running Enterprise versions of Windows rather than just Pro.  Are you referring to the "Remote Access and VPN" solution that's built into Server 2016 Essentials as well as the Essentials Experience feature component of regular Server 2016 editions?

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Ok, one last question (sorry for the triple posts here).  Have you eliminated the user account as a variable by having the E5470 user log onto a system where VPN works to make sure that person's account works on that system, and/or having someone who normally uses a working system log onto this E5470 to see whether VPN is also broken for them on that system?

0 Kudos
divergex
1 Copper

I'm using Remote Access and VPN that's built in to Windows Server 2106 (not Essentials). I can connect using any user's name and password on my machine (E5430) but not on the E5470. At first it would connect, but not allow access to any shares, regardless of account. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the miniports, but after that it won't even connect now. Settings between the two laptops are exactly the same. 

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Interesting, I use that feature on a Server 2016 Essentials installation, but I thought it was only available on other Server 2016 editions if you manually added the Essentials Experience feature to those versions.  But in those cases, a Windows Server Essentials Client Connector application is installed on PCs that automatically creates the VPN profile and optionally automatically connects to VPN when the system is off-site, in addition to handling other task related to that feature, like full workstation backups and File History.  You can still however manually create an SSTP VPN profile on other PCs, such as non-domain PCs that you might want to have VPN access.

Anyway, if you've already tested different user accounts and you're testing in the same remote network location that works on other systems, again if you have an Ethernet to USB adapter to test with, that might be useful, but if not, then a new WiFi card costs about the same, so you may as well try it especially if you're already spent hours on this.  WiFi cards are cheap.

0 Kudos
divergex
1 Copper

Thanks for your replies. I will try a new card and see if that corrects the issue. I will update this thread once I have tried that.

0 Kudos