Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

1 Message

November 29th, 2022 10:00

ExpressConnect Performance

Latitude 3420

Latitude 3420

I recently bought a Latitude 3420 with very good specs. So far it has been working as expected, all programs run fast, no lag when running multitasking, so I can say all is good as promised.

However, one service seemed to be working "ironically". It is called ExpressConnect and it seems it is part of Dell Optimizer application. I wrote ironically because this service is in theory supposed to increase the performance of the machine.

I understand the machine will sometimes have the CPU at 100% due to some heavy usage, but when the service is using 100% CPU for over 20 minutes, that to me does not sound like a good way to increase the performance, moreover I realized this because at some point I noticed the fan was on for a long time and then I just closed all current running programs and kept the desktop showing and the fan was running really fast, when I brought the task manager I could see this ExpressConnect service at 100% CPU, I closed it and the fan became silent. So I did a little research and found out is part of Dell Optimizer, so I just uninstalled this application, and all is fine again.

I don't believe any service running constantly in the background promising performance optimizations because, the undeniable rule of thumb is that the fewer processes running, the less CPU usage, and if a service is going to become the middleman deciding what and how to run processes, to me is just like putting a semaphore on a highway, it will lead to bottlenecks.

In my opinion, this Dell Optimizer is not needed. I'm not against Dell Optimizer, I'm against any of these kind of software.

Do let me know if you find any valid reason why I should reinstall this application, but so far I am very happy working in a quiet environment for most of the time.

No Responses!
No Events found!