Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

3 Posts

December 4th, 2019 10:00

File Explorer freezes when opening downloads

Every time I open the "downloads" folder in file explorer, file explorer freezes. The top of file explorer will say "Downloads (Not Responding)" and in the middle where the files would normally appear it says "Working on it...". I am able to exit out fortunately and then my computer will briefly go blank for about half a second, reappear, the shortcuts on my toolbar at the bottom of my screen will not be there, then they will reappear after about a second.

This problem specifically only happens when opening the downloads folder. I am able to open all other folders like pictures, documents etc. I am even able to open files that are stored in my downloads folder that are in the "recent files" shortcut. This problem specifically only happens when I click on "downloads".

I have run support assist to ensure all drivers/updates are installed. I have restarted my computer multiple times. None of this worked. I cannot point to one specific moment where I can think of something that happened that caused this. It was working fine this morning then all of a sudden this just started happening. If anyone knows what the problem is/how I could fix it that would be much appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 4th, 2019 13:00

" It was working fine this morning then all of a sudden this just started happening ".

--------------------------------------------

Since this problem started in the morning, I'd suggest using the System Restore Point tool to go back to an earlier time before file explorer start acting up. Type Create A Restore Point onto the search box, and then select System Restore. Please note System Restore doesn't affect any of your documents, pictures or other personal data.

Recently installed programs and drivers might be uninstalled

Capture.PNG

3 Posts

December 5th, 2019 15:00

Thanks for the reply.

The issue resolved after installing an update that did not show up in support assist...I have no idea what caused it and the tech support person I talked to didn't either specifically. I appreciate your assistance nonetheless.

1 Message

July 20th, 2023 03:00

Hi, I have a similar problem. Could you please advise what was the update which actually solved the issue?

3 Posts

July 21st, 2023 13:00

This issue happened almost 4 years ago so I don't remember what the specific update was. My recommendation would be to check for any windows or dell updates. You can check for windows updates in settings and you can check for dell updates using dell command update. If that doesn't help, I would reach out to dell for technical support.

No Events found!