Zdzich
1 Nickel

Re: Fingerprint reader unresponsive on 7490

Jump to solution

@decker12- "Personally I think the physical hardware is fine."
If physical hardware is fine then how can it be that licking a finger and then touching the sensor makes it work then without a problem?
BTW: I don't want to lick my finger so I breathe on it thus humiditing it - this makes fingerprint read succesful at the first attempt in most cases.

And regarding Dell Data Protection it has just reached its End-of-Support date as described here:
https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln305349/end-of-life-end-of-support-policy-for-dell-d...

micpyc
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Not bad. But when you wake up from hibernation nothing will save you. The reader does not answer at all.

0 Kudos
micpyc
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
I have observed something that may be useful. If you register an imprint in the middle of the imprint, the accuracy of the reading increases. The point is that the imprint should be in the middle of the reader.
0 Kudos
Trumpetron
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had the same problem with a new E5491 and was about to return it. After experimenting I found that pressure is your friend. If you just touch the reader it is unreliable. But if you press your finger down I find it reads it 80% of the time. YMMV.

0 Kudos
naspolya
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have a 7490, and had the same issue with the weak fingerprint reader.

Now I have tried out with my thumb finger, and 9 out of 10 times it works like a charm.

The fingerprint sensor's algorithm should recognize your finger independent of rotation or shifting. In reality the algorithm (working with sensor's input data) is really sensitive even to small shifts. Maybe the sensor is not efficient enough, but it gets along better with the wider, more contoured lines of my thumb.

I don't know why are they using such a garbage sensor in a business class notebook, these are the small details which could easily mess up the good user experience.

0 Kudos
Trumpetron
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've tested something today by accident. I reset the laptop and setup without a Microsoft account. Then I setup a fingerprint with just a local account setup and have found the fingerprint reader works flawlessly. I have tried locking the PC, signing out and restarting and on every occasion apart from once the reader authenticated my fingerprint first time. Only on one occasion did I have to try twice and then it did it.

Have any of you guys tried without a MS account?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
decker12
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I've never had a MS account, all my testing and failures have been with domain joined computers for employees in active directory.

0 Kudos
mountez
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Wait for a few days. I had the same after reset. After few days it works bad again.

0 Kudos
StepHop
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same problem on my Latitude 7390. I successfully et up the reader to recognize three different fingers. But no matter which finger I use, no matter how I orient the finger, no matter how hard I press down, it just doesn't work. I'm forced to use the PIN or password. What a waste.

0 Kudos