Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 4th, 2021 09:00

HDMI Audio causes freeze on Latitude E7240

Hi all, when using my laptop with the PR02X dock, if I route audio to my TV via HDMI, after a few hours the computer will freeze, every time. This ONLY occurs with HDMI audio, every other output is fine. My goal is to listen to music from my monitor speakers while I work.

• E7240, i7, 8gb RAM
  • Windows 10, all current updates installed
  • Dell Command Update is current
  • TV is my primary monitor, connected via DVI-->HDMI cable

I have attempted all driver versions I can think of including the newest drivers from the Intel website and the older drivers that Windows suggests under "Optional Updates." I think I remember even testing an HDMI cable directly to the laptop itself (bypassing the dock) with the same result.

I alternate using the same setup (monitors, keyboard/mouse, etc) with a newer Latitude 5480 and a WD15 dock with no issues, as well as a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and Surface Dock, also with no issues. I just prefer the E-series docks so it's a bummer I can't get HDMI audio to work without crashing everything.

I know I can use the laptop speaker which is sound, or alternate speakers which adds to clutter on my desk, so neither of those options are ideal.

I greatly appreciate any suggestions as I am out of ideas!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 4th, 2021 10:00

The problem is the dvi to hdmi connection. DVI does not carry audio--only video. It must be hdmi to hdmi direct connection for both video and audio. 

I'm surprised it even works for awhile. My guess is when the video signal goes to sleep, the hdmi no longer gets any signal.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 4th, 2021 11:00

It CURRENTLY plays audio through HDMI with the DVI-->HDMI cable, some DVI cables can in fact carry audio. The problem is that it freezes after a while.

https://www.bluecinetech.co.uk/does-dvi-carry-sound/

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 4th, 2021 13:00

Yes DVI-A can carry Audio and video both

However as you say the same works fine for hours prior crashing, so drivers and all other stuff are already updated. 

Are you noticing anything unsual prior the crash happens. 
Like High temps. High processor or GPU usages in Task manager

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 4th, 2021 14:00

You will have to Dig up a Bit More.

Check Reliability monitor (see which app of module was root cause of last crash

Even viewer > system and see the logs of the same time crash happened. 

and Run WHO CRASHED 

Install CoreTemp (leave it running) it will actively check Processor Temperatures. 

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 4th, 2021 14:00

Nothing out of the ordinary at all, although I'm not actively watching Task Manager. Usually I'm just working and listening to music until I notice that it's hanging, requiring a hard shutdown by holding the physical power button on either the dock or the laptop. Sometimes the cursor is still movable although nothing responds to clicks. Thanks for your response!

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 5th, 2021 09:00

Thank you! I will try these and report back. I don't hear the fan running before it freezes so I'm not expecting temperature to be part of the issue but we'll see what happens.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 5th, 2021 18:00

So I listened to music all day through my TV speakers and it didn't freeze. Weird because this issue has been consistent for a year.

Yesterday morning when I first booted, my audio wasn't working at all with a red X over the speaker icon in the tray, so I allowed Windows to try its automated fix which I assume just reset the drivers or something.

Today in the morning I wasn't hearing audio from the TV speakers even though Intel Display Audio was selected, so I undocked and redocked the computer and that seemed to get it working.

I wonder if Windows actually fixed the HDMI audio freezing issue? I will report back if the issue resurfaces.

Thanks to XPS_Man for your help!

No Events found!