Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

20 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 17:00

High DPC latency from ACPI.sys on Latitude 7389 causing audio glitches

I'm presently trying to chase down a DPC latency issue with a Latitude 7389 2-in-1 that is causing random glitches while trying to process real-time audio, both with the built-in Realtek audio and with 3 other external USB audio interfaces.

Having gone through all the usual suspects, I still get high DPC latency from ACPI.sys as reported by LatencyMon.  This is even with the ACPI battery and the WiFi adapter disabled in Device Manager.  The power profile is configured to be as high performance as allowable.  All the USB devices have "Allow the computer to put this to device to sleep... blah blah blah" unchecked.

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

OS is Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.  I just tried the April update today and it was even worse.

The maddening thing is that I have three older Dell laptops (Inspiron M731R, Inspiron 3521, Venue 11 Pro 7130) that ALL outperform this 7389 in terms of the DPC latency.  I'm at wit's end with this machine.  Dell support has opened a ticket but has yet to provide any real solution.

Has anybody experienced anything similar or found any solutions?

20 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 17:00

And before anyone asks, all the drivers are latest.

35 Posts

May 5th, 2018 22:00

I rolled back to the Windows generic driver instead of the Realtek driver (Dell 7389), because the Realtek driver seemed to not work well at times (no sound on Netflix at times; issues with switching to headphones etc).

These problems I had are probably unrelated to your issue however, given what you've written.

20 Posts

May 5th, 2018 23:00

It doesn't matter if I use the onboard audio or an external USB audio interface.  Sooner or later the DPC latency will cause an audio glitch, which makes the laptop unsuitable for live performance situations where audio clicks and pops are unacceptable.  The issue has nothing to do with the specific audio interface.  It's another driver and/or the BIOS that is taking WAY too long to process interrupts.

Simple math:

Processing audio at 48KHz with a 128 sample buffer means the audio buffer has to be filled every 2.67 milliseconds. Depending on the complexity of the audio processing, when another thread on the system hogs the CPU for 1ms+ consistently and occasionally 2ms+ then sooner or later one of those buffers will not be processed within less than 3ms.  Click.  Pop.

It's shameful that a 4-year-old i3 that cost half as much can do this, and yet the 7389 cannot.

4 Posts

July 16th, 2018 05:00

Hi, any updated info on this topic? There seems to be slient legions of audio users facing he same problem, myself included

20 Posts

July 16th, 2018 09:00

Short answer: no.

The support rep who was handling my case basically said the engineers weren't going to hunt this down.

I ended up returning the machine to Dell and buying a Lenovo Flex 5 from Costco, which works flawlessly for audio.

1 Message

August 2nd, 2018 08:00

seem like All dell laptop having this issues. Other Brand have find a way to fix it and Dell doesn't care. If you going to use it for Audio or audio matters to you dont buy Dell.

I have same issues with new XPS  (returned) and now precision same issue. if not resolved will go with lenovo

December 1st, 2018 23:00

Just got a G7 15 7588 a few weeks ago and I've got the same "DPC latency from ACPI.sys" issue. Anyone have a fix or does this thing need to go back to Dell?

January 21st, 2019 12:00

Sure wish Dell would do something about this. Looks like we're waiting in line for a fix that is YEARS in the making. My 7588 is *almost* a great machine. C'mon Dell! Give us a fix.

15 Posts

January 24th, 2019 12:00

Have anyone got any response from DELL so far on the DPC latency? 

March 6th, 2019 05:00

Desperately tried to search for day, nothing. Will chat with support...

17 Posts

March 6th, 2019 10:00

Hi. I have been chasing a glitching sound problem on a Latitude 5490 on and off for the past 10 days! I have just sorted it out so this is what worked for me:

Go to Settings, Power & Sleep - Additional power settings, - Change plan settings - Change advanced power settings. Scroll down and open PCI Express - Link State Power Management and change the settings for Battery & Plugged in to 'Moderate power savings' (mine were at Maximum) and Apply.

This solved my problem. I hope it might solve yours.

March 11th, 2019 02:00

Hello! Thanks a lot, works for me too (Latitude 5490)

Later comment: "Moderate" setting caused occasional blue screens and resets (sound became OK by the way :). Switched option to "Off" - works fine and resets' gone.

August 21st, 2020 05:00

Thanks a lot. Mine works too. I have turned PCI to Öff.

December 16th, 2021 08:00

At the end of 2021, I have not received a response from dell to solve this problem

1 Message

January 10th, 2022 07:00

Thanks a lot! After 15 days trying multiple solutions, reinstalling dozens of drivers, updating bios, disabling multiple devices, this was the only thing that solved the problem.  You are an angel!

No Events found!