Highlighted
2 Bronze

Highest performance SSD in M6700 Precision

Jump to solution

What is the highest performing SSD that I can install in my Precision M6700?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: 2 X SSD drives in M6700 Precision?

Jump to solution

@

Finally!  Got it.

I removed it from Storage Spaces, and is showed up in Disk Management, where I was finally able to set it up.

Thank you again for all of your support, your prompt replies, and your persistence.

Kind regards,

-

Method 1: Format an Unallocated SSD Using Disk Management

Ashwani Tiwari  Modified: April 8th, 2020 | Technology

Computer management allows the administrator to control the services and attached devices. Also, it enables admin to keep track of the performance of hardware and software. By using Disk Management snap-in in Computer Management, you can initialize and format the disks. To format unallocated SSD in Windows 10, 8, 7, etc., follow the given below steps:

1. First, click on the Start button and right-click on the Computer option. Choose Manage option from the context menu to open Computer Management.
  2. After that, go to the left pane and select Disk Management. Right-click on the area of unallocated space on the solid state drive.
  3. Now, choose the “New Simple Volume” from the context menu to run the New Simple Volume Wizard. Then, click on the Next button.
  4. Enter the size of a new volume or chose the default value. Hit on the Next button.
  5. Now, select a letter to drive or use the default character and hit on the Next button.
  6. In this step, select a letter to assign the drive or use the by default character and click on the Next button.
  7. Further, click on the Format the Volume with the Following Settings option.
  8. After clicking on the correct parameters then click on the “Next” button.
  9. Finally, click on the “Finish” button to format the unallocated space on the drive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Highlighted
7 Gold

Re: Highest performance SSD in M6700 Precision

Jump to solution

Looks like that system supports 2.5" SATA and mSATA, but not anything newer.  In that case the Samsung 860 Evo should be at the top of your list for SSD options.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Would you upgrade with 2 raid 1?

All best,

P

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

RAID 1 wouldn't give you any performance benefit since it uses mirroring to allow one disk to fail without causing a problem -- so if you want that extra reliability, then go for it.  If you meant to ask about RAID 0, which does increase performance, I personally wouldn't do it because in that setup, if either of your disks fails, you lose all of your data, so you've essentially doubled the chances of a failure.  I routinely capture backups, so that wouldn't be a huge inconvenience for me, but I personally find that a single SSD is enough for my needs, so the extra performance benefit of RAID 0 simply isn't worth the extra cost and risk for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I was suggesting that it looks like i can get upgraded performance with the SSD (probably Samsung 860), set up in mirrored RAID 1.

With thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Note your only options for high performance are 2.5" SSDs, not the mSATA slot.  I'd consider the mSATA slot for "archive" or data use only.

From the Dell Precision Mobile Workstation M6700 manual (pg. 75):

M6700        two internal 2.5 inch SATA HDD/SSD (SATA3) + one mSATA SSD (SATA2)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@Popplestone wrote:

Hi, 

I was suggesting that it looks like i can get upgraded performance with the SSD (probably Samsung 860), set up in mirrored RAID 1.

With thanks for your reply.

RAID 1 is meant for providing redundancy, not performance.  It's just a mirror.  I've read that some RAID controllers can get extra read performance out of a RAID 1 by reading different sectors from each member drive, but I don't know if laptop semi-RAID controllers will do that; that might be meant for enterprise equipment.  And it wouldn't improve write speed at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

2 X SSD drives in M6700 Precision?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have purchased 2 X 2tb SSD drives.

I would like to set up both drives in order to have 4tb of storage.

When i run diagnostic, it recognises both drives as non-raid, but when it boots up only one is recognised.

Is it possible to set up the second drive?

with thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@Popplestone  When you say only one drive is recognized when you boot, what does that mean exactly? Where are you looking for that second drive when it boots and not finding it? Internal drives ship uninitialized, so if you’re just expecting it to appear with a drive letter under This PC in Windows Explorer, that’s not how it works. External drives are often pre-formatted from the factory so they do that, but not internal drives. Do you see the disk in Disk Management if you check the lower half of the center area?

0 Kudos