Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2019 02:00

I want a US Dell but I want to know if Aussie chargers work.

So the problem is I want a US Dell Latitude but I want to know if Australian chargers work or I have to get an adaptor for it?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 22nd, 2019 06:00

@PCLaptopDude, building on the answer above, another option would be to just buy an Aussie-style power CORD (just the part from the AC adapter “brick” to the wall) from the Dell Australia online store as an accessory item and replace your US cord with that, at which point no adapter will be required. That’s what Dell does at the factory anyway, since it allows them to develop a single version of the expensive part of the adapter (the brick) and then just toss the correct power cord for the destination country into the box during assembly.  You might have some difficulty finding the accessory item for just the power cord without the entire AC adapter, but I have definitely seen them available for purchase before, sometimes in different lengths and/or in different prong configurations (with or without an electrical grounding prong).

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 22nd, 2019 06:00

Like most consumer electronics these days, the power supply is global in the voltage and Hz it supports. So you will need an adapter to allow you to physically plug a US plug into an Aussie outlet, but you would not need an expensive converter to actually alter the electrical signal.

March 22nd, 2019 18:00

Thanks for the help I already found a good Australian  Clover Lead I think it is called.

28 Posts

July 8th, 2019 19:00

Chargers are generally available globally. If you need to use a charger in Australia, you only need to buy an Australian AC line or an Australian adapter.AU adapter.png

1 Message

April 27th, 2020 03:00

1. The charger input section has a 3-prong configuration. Can you clarify if whether this 3rd wire is a "protective earthing (PE)" intended for safety or just merely a functional electrical grounding?  Looking at the charger's label marks, it appears to be Class I type devices thus, I assumed that this for PE. Please clarify.

2. IF this is indeed a PE terminal, some parts of world including to where I'm located, have some AC sockets which does not have provisions for 3rd PE terminal, nor a reliable earthing terminal provisions from the building/house is available. In most cases - actual connections is 2-wire configuration, thus the 3rd wire is floating. How does this impact in terms of safety usage of the charger without PE? 

3. If this is indeed a class I, my understanding is that some class I classified device could also have class II construction. Is it safe to use this charger without the 3rd wire or has it been tested to be safe without it?

Thank you very much.

No Events found!