Andreas-hnikt
1 Copper

Installing Windows 7 on Dell Latitude 7380

Hello

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on a Dell Latitude 7380, and I need help.

I have tried the USB Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility, along with the drivers for the m.2 ssd, but that method does not work.

I also tried to copy the drivers into the boot.wim file, but neither did that work.

I can browse to the specified m.2 drivers, but the disk does not appear after the loading process.

What do I do?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Installing Windows 7 on Dell Latitude 7380

If your 7380 shipped with a Skylake CPU and a Windows 7 downgrade license, you can use the image mentioned here:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln299044/how-to-download-and-use-the-dell-os-recovery-...

It will include all the necessary drivers. If that's not available, follow the guide here:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/how11804/how-to-install-windows-7-on-systems-with-skyla...

If your system has a Kaby Lake CPU, Windows 7 isn't supported and you may have difficulty installing the OS and any drivers.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: Installing Windows 7 on Dell Latitude 7380

Assuming that the CPU generation in your system doesn't render the Windows 7 option impossible, if you have an M.2 NVMe SSD rather than an M.2 SATA SSD, make sure the SATA Operation setting in your BIOS is set to RAID rather than AHCI.  Despite the name of that setting, it affects both SATA and NVMe devices.  Windows 7 does not have native support for NVMe, but placing the system into RAID mode causes the Intel RST controller to step in, which abstracts the NVMe interface from the system.  You will then need to supply a fairly recent version of the Intel RST driver during Windows 7 setup, but after you do, it should see your SSD.

0 Kudos