Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2021 02:00

Intermittent Ethernet Wired connection Issue in Dell Latitude 7420

In my new Dell laptop, whenever I connect an ethernet cable it will disconnect from the internet for few seconds(5 sec) and reconnect immediately. Wifi connection is ok. It has been checked with different cables but the problem persists and an old laptop works fine with same ethernet cable.

Activities done from my side,

1. Ensured that I'm using a single internet connection i.e a wired (Ethernet LAN cable)
2, Rebooted my home network modem/ router.
3. Disabled IPv6 on my network adapter
4. Checked for any packet loss and could not find anything yet

5. Ensured all network drivers are upto date

Machine Details : Dell Latitude 7420
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 x64 Professional

Using Dell  USB 3.1 Type-C to Ethernet Adapter for connecting Ethernet cable(Network Adapter : Realtek USB GbE Family Controller). 

3 Posts

November 9th, 2021 02:00

I could resolve the issue by disabling the Realtek USB GbE Family Power Saving mode using Device Manager in the operating system. These are steps I followed,

* Open the Device Manager
* Navigate to Network Adapters
* Double click on Realtek USB GbE Family Controller
* Click the Advanced tab
* Scroll down the list under Property and highlight Idle Power Saving
* Click the drop down box under Value and select Disabled from the list
* Click Apply- OK
* Close the Device Manager
* Restart the PC

November 9th, 2021 13:00

Thank you for this!  This has been driving us nuts for months.  

For those inclined to automate a fix for this via powershell:  

Set-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty -InterfaceDescription "Realtek USB GbE Family Controller" -DisplayName "Idle Power Saving" -DisplayValue "Disabled"

1 Rookie

• 

48 Posts

November 19th, 2021 07:00

Thank you very very much! Fixed it on all our 7420 devices. How is this issue still present in current driver packages??

24 Posts

November 23rd, 2021 09:00

The problem only arose when doing phone calls with Microsoft Teams. Otherwise we had no problems. We almost got mad too.

24 Posts

November 23rd, 2021 09:00

yes, we also had the same problem. Disable Idle Power Saving helped here. Strangely enough, we only have this with Latitudes (7420/9520). Our Precisions don't do that.

Unfortunately you can only use the PowerShell commando when the dock is plugged in.
If you want to distribute this automatically and it cannot be guaranteed that the dock is plugged in, it will of course not work. does anyone know a way to set the setting for hidden devices?

24 Posts

November 24th, 2021 04:00

It still persists with the drivers offered by Dell support page.

But, as sayed. It only occurs when a Teams phone call or meeting is happends.

Aftersome seconds, the network link is getting down. It comes up again, and everything is ok. But it repeats randomly.

This also documented here:

Lenovo USB-C Dockingstation and MS Teams Videocall connection lost-English Community

There a also a few links which referes the same problem.

1 Rookie

• 

48 Posts

November 25th, 2021 07:00

In our environment, this will not happen just in combination with teams. As we do not use teams. It just happens randomly due to the day. No matter if we use usb-c ethernet adapter or docking stations like WD15, D1000 or newer displays with embedded dock.

Also we can disable idle mode when device is not plugged in. As the realtek network device is always the same.

3 Posts

November 30th, 2021 06:00

Same problem here, but the Idle setting is a workaround, not al solution. When working on another docking station the problem returns. We have more then 100 laptops with this issue. Dell, when will there be a permanent solution?

24 Posts

November 30th, 2021 07:00

I have opened a Servicerequest @ Dell Techdirekt. 

When there are new information i will share it here..

3 Posts

November 30th, 2021 20:00

If possible, test the network by disabling "Energy Efficient Ethernet" ( or Green Ethernet) by using the "Advanced" tab of the driver properties. My understanding here is all energy-saving options is interfering with network. 

3 Posts

December 20th, 2021 22:00

Any information yet?

24 Posts

December 21st, 2021 08:00

Unfortunately, no. It is hard to explain that to the support.

At the moment they only ask questions that are not expedient and want a new installation.

I do my best but I don't think that's enough. So, no hope......

If you take the Realtek USB GBe Family driver from the Realtek website, Idle Power saving is deactivated by default, so I have a solution for now.

Unfortunately, I cannot distribute this to all devices because the driver setup installs the driver files but keeps the driver in the device driver (in Device Manager). If you deinstalled the Realtek driver in the control panel and then deinstall the old driver in the device manager (with the checkmark for delete driver files) and then installed the Realtek driver, everything is fine. 

But you have to uninstall all previous driver versions this way, otherwise you will have the same problem again and the driver will remain on the old version. So watch out and check whether the new driver is really displayed in the device manager after the Realtek setup. 

This problem has apparently been around for a long time and nobody noticed. You think you have installed a new driver, but it is not active ......

While not directly related to this problem, it will explain other problems that are communicated in the community. And that with enterprise device class.....

The best way to check success, is to look after the Realktek driver installation if Idle Power Saving is off.

Then you can use any USB-C LAN adapter without this problem.

Heaven knows whether you have a Dell suported config.

Who marked this thread as solved? At best, this is a workaround....

3 Posts

December 21st, 2021 08:00

24 Posts

December 21st, 2021 10:00

Yes, i think it happens with all USB-Adapters using Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Family Controller Software.

Lenovo also having such problems.

Well, maybe at some point dell will find out that you have to talk to the engineering department instead of annoying their customers in first level support and asking whether they have installed windows correctly........

24 Posts

December 21st, 2021 10:00

Also strange thing; we have noticed the problem only with Latitude (7420/9520) devices so far. our precision notebooks do not cause any problems, regardless of the driver. Even if the problem can be eliminated by deactivating idle power saving, it seems to be a problem in the interaction with the device / firmware and driver.

No Events found!