Highlighted
Bruneros
1 Nickel

Is the transfer of my NVMe drive correct?

I have Dell Precision 7720 (with i7 6820HQ) latop with NVMe Toshiba SSD 256GB (THNSN5256GPUK_NV)

but I'm not happy with its speed. cristal.png

HD-Tune.png

Can anyone tell if these transfers should be better?

Or is it better to change a drive for some Samsung to have better transfers? this toshiba seems to be quite slow ... or is it a driver problem?

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

Re: Is the transfer of my NVMe drive correct?

Hi Bruneros, 

Are you having any actual performance issues with the drive during normal use or are you basing it solely on the benchmark results?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Bruneros
1 Nickel

In normal use all is ok, but I have the impression that the system does not work optimally fast for a high-end mobile workstation like dell precision - (for example, some adobe apps starts slower than in my old core2duo computer with normal sata SSD)

0 Kudos

Can you edit your reply to remove the service tag from a public forum please. There seems to be some discrepancy with the tag details, your images show a 256GB SSD, however the original order details show the system was shipped with a 500GB Sata drive. Did you add the drive yourself to the system?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Bruneros
1 Nickel

I buy my DELL from outlet with 250GB SSD and 500GB HDD. Propably my resseler add this SSD.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the confirmation. I have looked at the specifications for that drive and it shows it as a class 40 drive. For PCIe SSD's that's on the lower end of the performance scale. After doing a bit of research on the drive via benchmarking results, the speeds in comparison to other drives would appear to match the results you are showing.

It's also possible that the system hasn't been properly configured by your vendor to take advantage of the SSD and HDD dual drive setup. You may find the following articles quite useful -

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln300820/what-are-pcie-ssds-and-how-to-use-them-as-a-b...

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln301036/windows-10-install-with-nvme-ssd-and-sata-dri...

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Fyi, this forum is currently configured so that posted screenshots are only visible to the people who posted them and to Dell reps, so if you want others to see anything, you'll have to link to somewhere like Imgur or Google Drive.  But if you search these forums (or even all of Google) for "Toshiba NVMe slow write speed", you will find a lot of results about this.  Sometimes it will benchmark as expected and then the very next benchmark will be terrible.  Someone found that Toshiba NVMe drives benchmark as expected if you refrain from installing all Intel drivers on the system, but that's obviously not a practical solution -- although it does cast doubt on a post from a Dell rep somewhere here who said he was advised by Engineering that this is "normal behavior" for this particular SSD.  But yes, a Samsung drive would perform far better if you chose to get one.

0 Kudos
Bruneros
1 Nickel

Thanks for the answers.

Can you check what speed index have drive: Samsung 960 EVO 256GB ?

0 Kudos

We classify the Samsung 960 Evo also as a class 40 drive , however it's at the upper end of the performance scale compared to the Toshiba.If you are looking for ultimate performance on this system and you are considering the Samsung drive, I would recommend purchasing the largest capacity drive that fits your budget. 

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos