Latitude

Last reply by 10-27-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

LOUD Dell WD19 Dock - Taking off for flight - Please secure all passengers.

Our current corporate builds come with Dell WD19 docking stations. We upgraded to these from WD15's last year.

I had a "VIP" user complain about the noise of his docking station. Initially I thought he must be mistaken and talking about his laptop fans running loud, but no sure enough these WD19 docks come with fans that can move papers off desks, and likely take flight of its own. There is something dead wrong with the firmware on these. 

This particular user is using a Precision 3541, however I have also tested with my Precision 3541 as well as a Latitude 7490. I performed a firmware upgrade:

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

WD19 Firmware upgrades seem to make zero improvements. I have seen a few other threads longer than 6 pages about this same issue on here, with some back and forth responses but no definite answer. I will NOT be modifying cooling settings and sabotaging performance for a Docking station issue. 

This seems to be a firmware issue, and nothing about ambient temperature or the unit actually trying to cool itself. I brought the dock back to my workbench to record a video of it, which can be located here: https://gofile.io/d/RbOWrw

The reason I suspect this is a firmware issue is that the fan will go from 0 to 100 immediately back to 20 to 100 to 0 to 50 to 0 to 100 in a matter of 15 seconds. This cycle repeats approximately every 5-10 mins.

Curious to know if anyone else is having similar issues.... can't chat with Dell support like I normally do for laptops, and refuse to talk to their phone "customer service" reps

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Update October 15, 2021 = A DELL-Cares agent setup service.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

View solution in original post

Dell Accepted Solution
Replies (28)

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

Hello, I have the same problem with my docking station and have been on the phone with customer care this morning - getting transferred, put on hold, getting nowhere. Please help! My docking station is under warranty. Thanks.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have the same issue with my WD19TB I bought. The fan seems to only be at 0 or 100 and there's no ramping in between. It's really loud and really really annoying. Especially considering how expensive these are.

I've been going back and forth with Dell Cares, but doesn't seem like they have a grasp on this quite yet. Asking for this WD19 to be replaced. 

To be clear, I believe this is a defect but does not affect all WD19's - We have hundreds of WD19's deployed, and this is the only one with this particular issue. Probably a bad batch. Still waiting on a warranty swap  

Hi, can you please help me with your contact and address details. I will setup a replacement for the dock.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

Hello, This information has already been provided to you in our PM conversations, please review.

Hi, I have had the same issue with my dock. It is very fustrating as it makes me lose focus when I am doing my work.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi, did you manage to get the loud dock replaced in the end?

I believe mine has the same issue. It's either silent or hairdryer level.

Yes - Dell Cares ended up replacing the dock for me. Feel free to PM that account. Took about 6 or so replies back and forth but they replaced it and it fixed the problem.
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions