Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

7 Posts

October 16th, 2020 11:00

LOUD Dell WD19 Dock - Taking off for flight - Please secure all passengers.

Our current corporate builds come with Dell WD19 docking stations. We upgraded to these from WD15's last year.

I had a "VIP" user complain about the noise of his docking station. Initially I thought he must be mistaken and talking about his laptop fans running loud, but no sure enough these WD19 docks come with fans that can move papers off desks, and likely take flight of its own. There is something dead wrong with the firmware on these. 

This particular user is using a Precision 3541, however I have also tested with my Precision 3541 as well as a Latitude 7490. I performed a firmware upgrade:

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

WD19 Firmware upgrades seem to make zero improvements. I have seen a few other threads longer than 6 pages about this same issue on here, with some back and forth responses but no definite answer. I will NOT be modifying cooling settings and sabotaging performance for a Docking station issue. 

This seems to be a firmware issue, and nothing about ambient temperature or the unit actually trying to cool itself. I brought the dock back to my workbench to record a video of it, which can be located here: https://gofile.io/d/RbOWrw

The reason I suspect this is a firmware issue is that the fan will go from 0 to 100 immediately back to 20 to 100 to 0 to 50 to 0 to 100 in a matter of 15 seconds. This cycle repeats approximately every 5-10 mins.

Curious to know if anyone else is having similar issues.... can't chat with Dell support like I normally do for laptops, and refuse to talk to their phone "customer service" reps

• 

25K Posts

October 16th, 2020 11:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

Update October 15, 2021 = A DELL-Cares agent setup service.

(edited)

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2020 01:00

I have the same issue with my WD19TB I bought. The fan seems to only be at 0 or 100 and there's no ramping in between. It's really loud and really really annoying. Especially considering how expensive these are.

7 Posts

October 26th, 2020 05:00

I've been going back and forth with Dell Cares, but doesn't seem like they have a grasp on this quite yet. Asking for this WD19 to be replaced. 

To be clear, I believe this is a defect but does not affect all WD19's - We have hundreds of WD19's deployed, and this is the only one with this particular issue. Probably a bad batch. Still waiting on a warranty swap  

• 

25K Posts

October 27th, 2020 21:00

Hi, can you please help me with your contact and address details. I will setup a replacement for the dock.

7 Posts

October 28th, 2020 05:00

Hello, This information has already been provided to you in our PM conversations, please review.

6 Posts

November 9th, 2020 07:00

Hi, did you manage to get the loud dock replaced in the end?

I believe mine has the same issue. It's either silent or hairdryer level.

7 Posts

November 9th, 2020 08:00

Yes - Dell Cares ended up replacing the dock for me. Feel free to PM that account. Took about 6 or so replies back and forth but they replaced it and it fixed the problem.

6 Posts

November 11th, 2020 04:00

Lucky you! I'm about 20 messages in and have gone round in circles with @DELL-Cares  telling me that's "normal" and will refuse to replace it.

I have referred them to this post in the hope of some progress.

6 Posts

November 11th, 2020 04:00

Do you still have the video you posted by any chance? I'd like to compare to make sure it is actually as loud and annoying as I think it is. Based on your description it certainly sounds like it.

It's easily the loudest thing in the room compared to a laptop and a gaming pc!

Edit: This is what my dock is doing. https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqI7eF-9oukCp_0-1EFWJWIXy4zGXg?e=ZCraFx

And this where the fan goes rapidly 0-100-0-100-0-100: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqI7eF-9oukCp_1Ad-OHeXNMytA3_Q?e=Gkn2wo

7 Posts

November 11th, 2020 05:00

That second video is what you need to be giving to them, thats similar to mine, and is a product issue 100%.

7 Posts

Sure man, here you go: https://gofile.io/d/r9PtCa

6 Posts

That's exactly it. Thank you! I'm trying to get a better quality recording.

6 Posts

November 20th, 2020 07:00

To keep this up to date I have now managed to get my dock replaced and the replacement, while having the same model number, has not made any fan noise since receiving it. So definitely something weird on some earlier models I guess? Anyhow, my ears are very thankful!

December 18th, 2020 12:00

I'm experiencing a similar issue here at Mississippi State University with one of my clients (Latitude 5400 & WD19TB).  It will blow (cold air) at 100% for about 60 seconds, stop (0%) for about 15 seconds, and then go right back to 100% again.  Sometimes when it is blowing, it throttles down to 50% for a second and goes back up to 100%.  Firmware updates have not helped in this case either.  I can provide a video if someone from support wants to see what it does.

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2021 18:00

Same issue here peepS. WD19 is sporadic to say the absolute least, ha.

No Events found!