escadan396
1 Copper

Latitude 5290 PXE boot

During a Latitude 5290 demo several months back, I was able to PXE boot via the supplied RJ45/USB dongle and image the laptop via MDT.

Fast forward to today and I'm having trouble PXE booting via the USB dongle on a newer 5290.  I remember having to enable the PXE option in BIOS.  The manual says to select "Enabled w/PXE" under  System Configuration > Integrated NIC.  Only Integrated NIC does not exist as an option under System Configuration.  I've been all through the BIOS and can't find anything similar.

Has the BIOS been updated and the option moved/renamed?  Am I missing options because of Secure Boot settings or other boot mode issues?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Latitude 5290 PXE boot

escadan396,

Your bios system configuration screen does not look like the one below? Does the network card show up in device manager? If not, reinstall the network card drivers. Also,  Click the link below to update the bios on the system.

Dell Latitude 5290 Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

System configuration

Table 1. System Configuration
Option Description
Integrated NIC

This option allows pre-OS and early OS networking features to use any enabled NICs.

• Enabled UEFI Network Stack

This options allow you to configure the integrated network controller.

Click one of the following options:

• Disabled
  • Enabled
  • Enabled w/PXE—Default
SATA Operation

Allows you to configure the operating mode of the integrated SATA hard-drive controller.

Click one of the following options:

• Disabled
  • AHCI
  • RAID On—Default
NOTE: SATA is configured to support RAID mode.
Drives

Allows you to enable or disable various drives on board.

The options are:

• SATA-0
  • SATA–1
  • SATA–2
  • M.2 PCIe SSD-0

All the options are set by default.

SMART Reporting

This field controls if the hard drive errors for the integrated drives are reported during system startup. This technology is part of the SMART(Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) specification.

• Enable SMART Reporting

This option is not set by default.

USB Configuration

Allows you to enable or disable the internal USB configuration.

The options are:

• Enable USB Boot Support
  • Enable External USB Port

Dell Type-C Dock Configuration

Allows you to connect to Dell WD and TB family of docks.

Always Allow Dell Docks

This option is set by default.

USB PowerShare

Allows you to configure the USB PowerShare feature behavior.

• Enable USB PowerShare

This option is not set by default.

Audio

Allows you to enable or disable the integrated audio controller.

• Enable Audio
    • Enable Microphone
    • Enable Internal Speaker

Keyboard Illumination

This field allows to choose the operating mode of the keyboard illumination feature. The keyboard brightness level can be set from 0% to 100%. The options are:

• Disabled
  • Dim
  • Bright—Default
Keyboard Backlight Timeout on AC

The Keyboard Backlight Timeout dims out with AC option. The main keyboard illumination feature is not affected. Keyboard Illumination will continue to support the various illumination levels. This field has an effect when the backlight is enabled.

The options are:

• 5 seconds
  • 10 seconds—Default
  • 15 seconds
  • 30 seconds
  • 1 minute
  • 5 minutes
  • 15 minutes
  • Never
Keyboard Backlight Timeout on Battery

The Keyboard Backlight Timeout dims out with Battery option. The main keyboard illumination feature is not affected. Keyboard Illumination will continue to support the various illumination levels. This field has an effect when the backlight is enabled.

The options are:

• 5 seconds
  • 10 seconds—Default
  • 15 seconds
  • 30 seconds
  • 1 minute
  • 5 minutes
  • 15 minutes
  • Never
Unobtrusive Mode This option, when enabled, pressing Fn+F7 turns off all light and sound emissions in the system. To resume normal operation, press Fn+F7 again.
  • Enable Unobtrusive Mode

This option is disabled by default.

Miscellaneous devices

Allows you to enable or disable various on board devices.

The options are:

• Enable Camera—Default
  • Enable Secure Digital (SD) Card—Default
  • Enable Hard Drive Free Fall Protection—Default
  • Secure Digital (SD) Card Boot—Default
  • Secure Digital (SD) Card Read-Only

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
Hallah1
1 Copper

Not to answer for the person but I have the same issue with the same model. There is no place to enable PXE. Please see the below screenshot of the BIOS. The BIOS has been upgraded the latest release.

screenshot2.jpg

0 Kudos
escadan396
1 Copper

No, my BIOS configuration screen does not look like that.  The Integrated NIC option is not showing at all.  I have the latest BIOS.

How would installing NIC drivers in Windows effect the BIOS?  Further, the USB NIC works after Windows loads.

0 Kudos
SLpatthew
1 Nickel

Hi all, had a colleague asking this same question. Are any of you using the 5290 2-in-1 tablet?

If so, there is no integrated nic, it's an external adapter USB-C ethernet adapter. You may need to enable USB Boot Support / Thunderbolt boot support under System Configuraton.

theSupakeea
1 Nickel

I had the same issue and found the solution in a related article:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln307333/cannot-pxe-boot-to-a-dell-type-c-to-ethernet...

Go into BIOS -> Post Behavior -> Fastboot -> set it to "thorough".

Restart and go to the boot menu and you should have a PXE IPv4 and IPv6 option. 

MrNoFun
1 Copper

@SLpatthew wrote:

Hi all, had a colleague asking this same question. Are any of you using the 5290 2-in-1 tablet?

If so, there is no integrated nic, it's an external adapter USB-C ethernet adapter. You may need to enable USB Boot Support / Thunderbolt boot support under System Configuraton.

Thanks this worked for me. Enabling both shows me 2 options for each ipv4 and ipv6.

0 Kudos

We had some issues PXE booting our Dell 5290 using the Dell dock and managed to sort it out by altering Thunderbolt BIOS Settings using the guide on the site below

http://itwalkthroughs.com/knowledge-base/cant-pxe-boot-dell-5290-2-in-1/

0 Kudos