Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2020 10:00

Latitude 5300 2in1 run a monitor off the USB slots?

New 5300 with i7-8665U and Intel UHD Graphics 620.  I know that the 620 can display up to three monitors.  Right now, I have a 24" running through the HDMI fine and I want to plug my other 24" in one of the USB slots, but I need to get an adapter...is this possible or am I looking at docking station?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 11:00

@dallascat  Just to clarify my earlier post, you do want an adapter/cable that plugs into the USB-C port, not the USB-A "regular USB" ports.  The USB-C port on your system has an actual GPU output wired to it, which means it can function as a traditional display output connector.  This is an optional capability of USB-C ports, but it's implemented on the Latitude 5300.  By comparison, regular USB ports do not support this capability.  There are adapters that plug into regular USB ports and give you a display output connector, but they rely on "indirect display" technology such as DisplayLink (not to be confused with DisplayPort), which require additional software on your system and can introduce a variety of drawbacks.  They're also more expensive due to the additional electronics they need to have in order to run this way.  So those really aren't a good choice when you have a better option available, as is the case here.

5.6K Posts

May 21st, 2020 12:00

which specific model?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 11:00

@nyc10036  Latitude 5300 is a specific model, not a model series. Dell just rolled over their model numbers on several systems to 00.

@dallascat  You can get a USB-C to DisplayPort or USB-C to HDMI cable or adapter dongle. If your display has a DisplayPort input, I recommend that since that’s what USB-C sends anyway, whereas a USB-C to HDMI adapter/dongle incorporates an active converter chip, which is just extra cost and complexity that you wouldn’t need if you have a DisplayPort input available.

No Events found!