Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 1st, 2021 17:00

Latitude 5320 BSOD if storage is set to RAID in BIOS

Hi,

I'm trying to build a new Win10 20H2 master image for my fleet of Latitude 5320s.

I have updated the boot.wim file with the most recent Dell Driver pack and can now detect the storage when I boot from a Win10 enterprise boot key.

I don't have any other drivers, other than the storage drivers added.

Windows does the first part of the install OK but then continually BSODs, saying "inaccessible boot drive".

The only way I could stop this was to change in the BIOS the storage from RAID ON to use AHCI/NVMe.

I'd rather not have to instruct users on changing this BIOS setting if they need to rebuild the machine.

Thoughts on what is causing the issue?

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2021 08:00

I troubleshooted this for hours just last week in SCCM. You'll want to remove ALL storage drivers except the Intel VMD storage driver (current version is 18.0.3.1148). This includes removing the AHCI and RST drivers. Having any other storage driver present seems to override this VMD driver, which is needed when the system is set to RAID.

This Reddit post helped to point me in the right direction: https://www.reddit.com/r/MDT/comments/lcotur/intel_rst_drivers_not_installing_correctly_during/

Hope this helps!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 2nd, 2021 08:00

@SimonLM  Injecting the Rapid Storage driver into Boot.wim allows the Windows PE environment to see your storage, but you also need to inject that driver into the actual install.wim file you're loading onto these systems so that the OS that will be booting on these systems will ALSO be able to see the storage when RAID mode is enabled.

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2021 09:00

@jphughan There seems to be an issue with this model or CAB, however. If the driver CAB is injected as-is, the AHCI drivers seem to override the VMD driver mentioned above during driver installation and the system will BSOD on first boot unless it is set to AHCI mode. The only solution seems to be manually removing these drivers.

Again, my experience was via SCCM, but this is an issue in MDT as well.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 2nd, 2021 09:00

@PLD99  Ah ok, good to know.  Just wasn't sure if the OP might have forgotten to bake the drivers into the install image as well as the boot image.  I did notice that the Intel RST drivers seem to have become much more complicated lately.  I don't use combo HDD+cache modules or Optane setups, so I prefer to just use AHCI mode and avoid all of that.  But dealing with the fact that Dell ships systems in RAID mode from the factory does introduce some challenges.  I believe, but am not certainly, that if you incorporate Dell Command Configure into bootable environments, you can check for RAID mode and switch to AHCI if needed, but that's of course more work to do.

March 5th, 2021 09:00

We switch to AHCI in a task sequence section.  Part of that though involves still being able to do a basic partition/format of the drive, so I guess you'd still need to make sure you had the right storage driver in the WinPE image.

A CCTK command is run if this WMI query returns anything:

select * from Win32_SCSIController where Name like '%RAID%'

Then the command is just:

cctk.exe --embsataraid=ahci

(using a package that has the necessary CCTK files)

We set a reboot flag so that the system would reboot if that or certain other changes like switching from legacy to UEFI (on older models) took place prior to installing Windows, but that's the gist of it.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2021 01:00

Hi,

thanks for the tip. This is what I ultimately found to be the simplest solution.  I found the relevant F6 drivers and only added them to the boot.wim file. Now, I have a USB key that we can provide to staff if they need to rebuild their laptop.

cheers

Simon

No Events found!