Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

May 20th, 2021 09:00

Latitude 5400, no sound after May 2021 Windows update

Hey,

Issue:
I'm an IT Tech and the company I work for and we've some 5400 models. After May 2021 Windows update, there is no sound. The Sound Icon stays RED Cross (No Sound Device Installed).

Issue could have been caused by the May 2021 Windows update. My best guess is "2021-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB5003169)".

Device details:
Windows Version: 1909 build: 18363, Windows 10 Enterprise
Processor: i5-8365U, RAM: 16 GB, x64 Bit 

What happens:
Device will ask for reboot and will says failed to update the windows and rolling back the update. and when user logins in to laptop Sound is missing.

Tried:
BIOS update to 10.1.1, Audio update . Re-installed Audio and created another windows login account and same issue with that too. Uninstalled the May-21 Windows update and still same issue.

Temporary workaround =

1. Remove the USB headset from the Laptop and wait for 30 seconds and connect back to laptop.
  2. Right click on the Sound/speaker icon (bottom right corner)
  3. Click Open Sound settings
  4. Right side under, "Related Settings", click Ease of Access audio settings
  5. Right side under, "Related Settings", click Sound settings
  6. Now you should be able to see the USB headset audio device is now detected
  7. Slide the volume to test the sound and it should work.

Please not this is only a temporary workaround. A reboot will bring back the problem and same step will fix it.

What I m looking for: Is there any fix?

• 

25.1K Posts

May 20th, 2021 09:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

1 Message

May 25th, 2021 07:00

Hello, our fleet is also affected by this, the common factors are : Latitude 5400 with Windows 10 20H2 that got the latest May 2021 update, following some troubleshooting we are able to apply your temporary fix, but it doesn't stick after a restart, would you have any update for us? Many thanks.

1 Message

May 25th, 2021 09:00

Effected more than 300  Devices Latitude 5400.

Waiting solution from Dell Support.

1 Message

May 25th, 2021 10:00

Tried the below remedy as well:-

1. Open the Device Manager

2. Expand the ‘Sound, Video & Game Controllers’ section.

3. Right click on "Realtek(R) Audio" and select ‘uninstall device’.

4. Put a check mark in the option to ‘Delete the driver software for this device’, and then click Uninstall.

5. Restart the laptop and log in again to complete the driver reinstallation

Still the same issue 

1 Message

May 25th, 2021 11:00

We are seeing the same issue on Latitude 7400 systems.  The workaround is great, but it would be nice to have a permanent solution.

June 2nd, 2021 02:00

We are also facing the issues on 5000 series of Dell in both windows 10 1909 and 20H2. We have tried for the permanent solution but not anything working.

Many laptops facing this issue. But while running hardware tests, we can here the beep sound. Please help us if any permanent fix.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 2nd, 2021 03:00

Hi,

I am glad to have you back here.

You could open Device Manager, expand, Sound, video and game controllers, right click on Realtek audio and uninstall.

Restart the system and check if the audio worked fine.

June 2nd, 2021 04:00

I would like to share the steps that we have tried. So that you can help us better.

1. Tried Troubleshooter

2. Tried Device manager sound driver uninstallations, reinstallations, restarts, adding legacy hardware, scan for hardware changes etc.

3. Tried driver updates, BIOS updates

4. Tried hardware diagnostic

5. Tried windows upgrade

6. Tried BIOS load defaults

7. Tried restarting realtek, windows audio and audio build services

None of them helped.

1 Message

June 2nd, 2021 12:00

Are there any updates?  We are seeing this with 7400 laptops as well.

3 Posts

June 7th, 2021 05:00

So I've performed full back up on all these device and Re-imaged all Devices. And Now everything seems to be fine.

But We have put on hold for the Windows update for these to KB.

1) 2021-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB5003169)

​2) 2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB5001337)

• 

16.7K Posts

June 7th, 2021 05:00

SKotadia,

Thank you for letting us know.  

Dell-Jesse L

June 7th, 2021 07:00

Hi, 

I would like to help!!

Please follow the below steps

Roll-back Sound, video and game controllers driver

1. Open run box by pressing Windows Key + R and type devmgmt.msc then hit enter
2. Locate and expand Sound, video and game controllers
3. Right-click on the driver and select Update driver
4. Select Browse my computer for drivers
5. Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
6. Select any older driver from the list and click next
7. Wait for the process to complete, once completed, restart your computer and check if it resolves your issue.

3 Posts

June 7th, 2021 09:00

hi @JaneWincent 

So do this for all listed under " Sound, video and game controllers " ??

June 7th, 2021 13:00

This did not fix the issue. We have several users at our company that are in this broken state. The work around posted originally does work but is temporary. This was only seen on machines that had an issue install the KB patch

June 8th, 2021 02:00

Dell cares have reached us on sunday to get some details about the affected machines and asked for ETA 48 hrs. We haven't yet received any updates yet. 

This issue has been reported by several number of users. All their process has been delayed due to this.

Whether anyone else having any solution to fix the issue ?

No Events found!