Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2019 06:00

Latitude 5400 - "Configuring mobile broadband device" - no WWAN hardware is present

Newly imaged system.The message below appears at login after each restart. It fails and disappears after a minute or so. I've run Dell Command Update and installed all the latest - no help. There is no Broadband card in the system (BIOS "Cellular Device" = none). I've also unchecked WWAN/GPS in the Wireless Device Enable section of the BIOS. Also no help.

broadband error.png

14 Posts

August 20th, 2019 12:00

I have a workaround now.

Had to run procmon to capture what was going on. The process is "FwUpdatePro.exe".
The workaround is to edit %systemroot%\Firmware\FWSwitchbin\fbconfig.ini as admin.
Uncomment the line "FLASH_SIM_NEED = 1" and save the file.

Reboot and the firmware update no longer runs. Obviously not fixing the root cause, but at least it works.

Pretty sure this came from the Dell driver CAB's for Intel rather than from Dell Command Update. The fact that it's trying to update non-existing hardware tells me something's broken in Intel's driver pack.

2 Posts

September 25th, 2019 01:00

Can also confirm same issue experienced here.

Drivers were installed using Dells CAB driver pack version A00. (The latest CAB at the time of packaging in SCCM.)

I've since checked the CAB listing and it appears that Dell has released an updated version which includes changes to the "Dell Wireless 5820e Intel XMM 7360 Firmware and GNSS Driver". I believe this was the culprit as the updated driver pack does not appear to have the same issue.

To anyone still having this issue from an install using CAB drivers, try using the latest CAB driver pack:
https://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/audhs1/how16934/latitude-5400-windows10-driver-pack?lang=en

5.6K Posts

August 20th, 2019 08:00

Have you physically checked that the WWAN card is present?

It is rare for WWAN hardware to included in a standard laptop purchase.

September 18th, 2019 09:00

What do you mean by uncomment?  Change the value from 1 to 0?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 19th, 2019 04:00

@floydrayguidry I believe he means remove the line of text so that it no longer executes that and looks for the hardware.

Alan

October 4th, 2019 11:00

I was dealing with the same issue but found a fix.

I just finished building a new 5400 out of the box that I got a few weeks ago.  We use Microsoft SCCM to do the builds.  Upon booting into windows the error would popup up.  I actually ran the Dell Command Utility along with going though the bios.  I finally did another reboot and watched the error popup.  Upon that happening I did some backwards troubleshooting.  Found out the process started from C:\windows\firmware\FWSwitchbin.  I then chased it back further and found a service called FirmwareSwitchService.  I stopped the service and also changed it from auto to disabled.  I rebooted the laptop and no error.  I did some looking and found out what the application does it is looks for a mobile card (cell card) and then writes the firmware to match the carrier.  However, we don't install cell cards to our systems are erroring out.

So the fix is to disable the service.  We are thinking about doing this as a group policy or tweak our SCCM build so it is disabled right up front.

Hope this helps anyone having issues.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 7th, 2019 02:00

@jasonwired thanks for the workaround that you have discovered.

Can I ask what CAB file you were using for your deployment as the latest ones have the most up to date drivers that address the issue.

Alan

October 7th, 2019 12:00

I'm not sure what our SCCM team is using for the build but I downloaded the CAB file from Dell last week and reinstalled the wireless and network card which did not fix the issue.

October 7th, 2019 13:00

I should add we have the Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 cards installed.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 8th, 2019 02:00

@jasonwired thanks for the update. That's strange that it didn't resolve the issue for you as I was under the impression the updated CAB file was released to address this exact issue. It's good to hear that you got it working.

Alan

4 Posts

December 27th, 2019 02:00

Hello,

this is still no fixed even with up to date drivers from DELL | Command Update

• 

25K Posts

December 27th, 2019 03:00

@chrisoro,

Thank you for reaching out to us.  Please private message your system service tag or the express service code for us to get your system details and also let us know more about the issue you are facing, we will be happy to assist you. 

• 

25K Posts

January 1st, 2020 16:00

Hello,

We are awaiting your response from your end. Do write back to us at your convenience for further assistance.

Regards,

Muntazir Patel

No Events found!