Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2020 09:00

Latitude 5490 Audio Issues for built in speakers but headsets work

Hello all,

I have a very weird situation with my fleet of Latitude 5490's (I have a slew of them with the issue not just 1), we can temporarily fix the issue by either reinstalling the driver or removing it from device manager and re-scanning and letting it reinstall.

However after a period of time, the issue happens again where the built in laptop speakers stop working, but as the subject suggests headphones or a headset will work just fine.

I have also used Dell Command Update to do a advanced driver restore and it still happens. (Dell Command Update is installed in our fleet and scans once per week on Fridays)

I cant find any settings where the speakers are muted that I can find, the Windows OS thinks that sound is playing but just no sound coming from the speakers.

I am at a loss here, and not sure what else to do.

Thanks

12 Posts

March 3rd, 2021 08:00

I have just escalated this issue to Engineering Management. It was suppose to be fixed in Feb. Its now March.

6 Posts

March 3rd, 2021 21:00

As Dell did not issue the updated drivers for this specific model of laptop 5490 for no good reason.

There are other Dell Latitude laptop with the updated version of Realtek High Definition Audio Driver.

I have tested one of the next available version 6.0.9000.1.

By installing this version Audio is got fixed on my 5490s. It's also improved the speaker sound quality.

Link - https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=88wmg

File Name - Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_88WMG_WIN_6.0.9000.1_A25.EXE

6 Posts

March 3rd, 2021 23:00

Yes, I directly download it from the Dell from the link above.

If you see the version numbers

One available fro Dell 5490 is 6.0.8895.1_A23 and One I tested/working is 6.0.9000.1_A25 

Actually this next sub-version of the Realtek driver. I didn't get any compatible error when I did the manual installation from the EXE.

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2021 23:00

Thanks for the info. Are you sure it was this driver? I get this message:

- This driver is not compatible
-This driver is not applicable for Latitude 5490 with Windows 10, 64-bit. Click Choose another product to re-enter your product details for this driver, or click Product Support to view all drivers for a different product.

6 Posts

March 19th, 2021 11:00

The 7390 driver made my audio quality horrible.  The bass sounds like it is being played underwater.  Reverting to the old driver.

8 Posts

March 21st, 2021 23:00

Thanks SJ_IT,

Can you post also the previous driver in case anyone needs to revert back?

6 Posts

March 22nd, 2021 00:00

Driver Version 6.0.8895.1, A23

File Name:
Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_88XXX_WIN_6.0.8895.1_A23_01.EXE

Link - https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=88xxx&oscode=wt64a&productcode=latitude-14-5490-laptop

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2021 09:00

this driver works fine for me

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2021 01:00

Yes, Version 6.0.8895.1, A23 will work/fix the issue but it will for temporarily after few day issue will repeat and you have reinstall again.

12 Posts

March 23rd, 2021 04:00

Hello all,

Sorry I havent posted lately. I should let everyone know that I have escalated this issue with Dell Engineering Management and my account rep. They still havent updated the driver file, they are saying they cannot replicate the issue for testing. I have told them it is random when it happens and are not 100% sure what triggers it.

I again have provided them this link of the forum thread and perhaps they may or may not reach out.

Thanks

Sheldon

12 Posts

March 25th, 2021 14:00

All,

I have been in touch with a Dell Resolution Manager regarding this case. They need what they call captures (device capture) to identify the specific issue/trigger and to test the driver for resolution. This is hard for us because our systems have financial/confidential data on them and is not really feasible for us to do this.

I am asking that anyone who can provide the system in a current issue state contact Dell Support. Tell them you are calling in regarding the Dell Latitude 5490 Audio problem that has been identified. You may need to ask for escalation if they dont know what you are talking about to Dell ATS (Advanced Technical Support).

If you need a name for Dell to confirm this. Please have them reach out to Dell Resolution Manager Mark Ward.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

1 Message

March 29th, 2021 00:00

Hey,

We have a similar issue with Latitudes, model 5590. Sound from speakers is gone but sound in headphones connected with audio cable is OK. What we noticed when connecting to these notebooks with TeamViewer is that the sound is transmitted on the TeamViewer device, I don't know if it helps in any way. The latest driver for 5590 is 6.0.8895.1, A23. We managed to fix the issue (I dont know for how long but at the moment it works) with version 6.0.1.8555, A18. I also tried today the version posted in this thread 6.0.9000.1, A25. If anything changes I will update with whatever happens on the devices.

1 Message

April 19th, 2021 15:00

Hello everyone;

I think I found a workaround. Instead of using the Realtek file to reinstall the driver, I first uninstalled the driver using Windows Device Management, I restarted the laptop, and then I used the Realtek file to install the driver. I used 6.0.8895.1 version of the driver that appears in Dell website for 5490. It seems to be working fine for the time being.

1 Message

April 20th, 2021 07:00

Hello, we have just reached the same issue.

Does anyone solve the issue with version 6.0.9000.1, A25?

I am just thinking if I should call support or try this driver.

Thanks for feedback

1 Message

April 21st, 2021 20:00

Dear SJ_IT, Thank you so much. I have tried all the tricks in this thread before, but got a totally dead speaker today. Just installed this new version and the sound came back. Will see how long it lasts.

No Events found!