sblairtx
1 Nickel

Latitude 5591 upgrading from M.2 SATA to NVMe drive

What do I need to know in order to upgrade my Latitude 5591 from an M.2 SATA SSD to an M.2 NVMe drive?

I believe if I was going from a SATA HDD I would need a bracket and some screws but wasn't sure what was involved in upgrading between an M.2 SATA to M.2 NVMe?

Thanks.

Scott

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: Latitude 5591 upgrading from M.2 SATA to NVMe drive

You don't need anything.  As long as both SSDs use the M.2 2280 size (the vast majority of M.2 SSDs do, both SATA and NVMe), then it's a direct swap.  If you intend to clone your existing Windows installation from a SATA SSD to an NVMe SSD, there may be some additional steps, but if you're doing a clean install, then you'll be good to go as soon as you perform the swap.

0 Kudos
sblairtx
1 Nickel

Thanks for that.  

Would also be good to know what is involved in upgrading from a standard SATA HDD to an M.2 NVMe in the 5591.  Is there a bracket kit that has to be purchased or is all the hardware already included inside the laptop needed for it?

Thanks.

Scott

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

That's far less likely to be possible because NVMe is a completely different data interface; it connects to PCIe, not SATA, so you can't run it through a SATA bus, and even if you could, you'd see a massive performance hit that would completely defeat the point of having an NVMe SSD.  There are some Dell Precision models that allow installing NVMe SSDs into a bracket that fits in a 2.5" drive bay (what you're calling "standard SATA") and plugs into a SATA-looking connector on the bracket, but those brackets and the system connector they plug into use custom wiring that allows an SSD installed that way to tap into PCIe instead of SATA.  I seriously doubt the Latitude 5591 would have that capability, otherwise Dell would offer it from the factory with multiple NVMe SSDs like they do with those Precisions.  However, you would be able to get a bracket and "interposer board" that would allow you to use an M.2 SATA SSD there.  That said, be aware that if the Latitude 5591 works like the XPS 15, that 2.5" SATA bay may not even be available in some systems.  On the XPS 15, there are two battery sizes, and if you order the larger battery, then you don't have a 2.5" bay available at all because the larger battery takes up the space it would have occupied -- so if you haven't already, you may want to check your 5591's insides.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
sblairtx
1 Nickel

Reading the specifications manual it shows that the 5591 can be ordered with either SATA HDD, M.2 SATA, or M.2 NVMe.  Was curious about what is involved switching it from SATA HDD to M.2 NVMe instead since we have some of those around here as well.  The 5590 had similar options too but I believe I recall reading needing to buy a bracket to do it on that one.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

@sblairtx wrote:

Reading the specifications manual it shows that the 5591 can be ordered with either SATA HDD, M.2 SATA, or M.2 NVMe.  Was curious about what is involved switching it from SATA HDD to M.2 NVMe instead since we have some of those around here as well.  The 5590 had similar options too but I believe I recall reading needing to buy a bracket to do it on that one.

UPDATE: If you started with a SATA (2.5") HDD, then you may need the M.2 bracket that the top edge of the SSD would rest on and be **bleep** down onto. You'll also need the screw itself to fasten it down.  Some M.2 SSDs come with those, or you might find that the bracket includes two screws, one to fasten the bracket to the system, and the other to fasten the SSD to the bracket.

If you were going the OTHER way, i.e. starting with a system that only had an M.2 SSD, and you wanted to add or switch to a 2.5" SATA HDD, then yes you might need to buy a bracket and/or cable, since Dell doesn't always ship brackets in systems if they weren't ordered with the actual part that the bracket would be used with.

0 Kudos
sblairtx
1 Nickel

Where I get confused is with this document which implies there is a bracket that has to be added if upgrading to an M.2 SSD from an HDD.  But it is ambigious so I'm not certain if I am reading too much into it.  I recall reading posts previously that on the 5590 there was a bracket that was required in making the change between HDD and M.2 SSD.

http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/latitude-15-5591-laptop_setup-guide2_en-us.pdf

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

The guide isn't entirely clear.  Maybe by "bracket" they're referring to that tiny piece of plastic near the screw holes?  It looks like that might contain the "lip" with the screw hole that the SSD fastener screw would go into, in which case yes it does look like you'll need that piece. But if you have systems that came with M.2 SSDs and other systems that came with SATA HDDs, then why not just open them up and take a look at what's there to figure out what you'd need in order to go in either direction?  These systems are easy to open, after all, and visual confirmation is going to be more reliable and make things clearer than asking here.

However, it appears that the 5591 is designed such that the M.2 slot causes an M.2 SSD to occupy the same space that a 2.5" HDD would, which means you would NOT be able to use both at the same time.  Apologies for the confusion there; I'll edit my earlier posts.  I'm used to systems that have an M.2 slot on the motherboard that causes the SSD to simply lie on top of the motherboard rather than over an air gap that would otherwise be occupied by another piece of hardware.

0 Kudos
stehnik
1 Copper

Just a quick question, please. Do I understand it correctly that every Latitude 5591 series notebook can handle M.2 NVMe SSD regardless of whether it originally comes with other type of a disk (e.g. M.2 SATA SSD)? Can the M.2 slot handle both SATA and NVMe drives? 

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

@stehnik wrote:

Just a quick question, please. Do I understand it correctly that every Latitude 5591 series notebook can handle M.2 NVMe SSD regardless of whether it originally comes with other type of a disk (e.g. M.2 SATA SSD)? Can the M.2 slot handle both SATA and NVMe drives? 

Correct.