Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

6 Posts

April 30th, 2019 16:00

Latitude 7285 bios pass

Hello.  I purchased stupidly a Latitude 7285 without charging it and turns out theres a password.  Paid 150.00 which is good deal, now know why.   I am trying to reset password.  It comes up with Dell Security Manager.  Now I have researched some and found the site to put in the numberr and get password however i do not have keyboard to hold Control and Enter down to enter password.  I tried all and they did not work. I guess is there any other wa y around this problem?  Do i have to spend 150 to purchase keyboard to be able to hold these keys down?  Thank you so much for your time with helping me.  Sup posed to be for my 10yr old Neice.. please help.  Dave

6 Posts

April 30th, 2019 17:00

Purchased on craigslist and it powered up abd went dead, i purchased anyway.  Stupid

6 Posts

Someone didnt understand when i said no keyboard. This Latitude 7285 is a touchscreen where you do not need external keyboard, the keyboard pops up on screen when wanting to type. But to put in the codes when bypassing password in Dell Security Manager it says 'you may need to hold Control + Enter key down when typing code', and the keyboard that pops up on screen will not allow me to hold control and enter then type.

6 Posts

@nyc10036 wrote:

@Vavd wrote:

Hello.  I purchased stupidly a Latitude 7285 without charging it and turns out theres a password.  Paid 150.00 which is good deal, now know why.   I am trying to reset password.  It comes up with Dell Security Manager.  Now I have researched some and found the site to put in the numberr and get password however i do not have keyboard to hold Control and Enter down to enter password.  I tried all and they did not work. I guess is there any other wa y around this problem?  Do i have to spend 150 to purchase keyboard to be able to hold these keys down?  Thank you so much for your time with helping me.  Sup posed to be for my 10yr old Neice.. please help.  Dave

If you bought it on eBay, request full refund.

I am not sure what you mean by keyboard to hold down Control and Enter. All my laptop keyboards have those keys.

This Latitude is a touchscreen lile Miscrosoft Surface.  It does have a keyboard that pope up on screen and you can purchase a keyboard where the latitude docks to.  So when 8t says hold down control +enter keys when entering new code or generated pass the keyboard that pope up on screen will not allow me to hold down these 2 keys and type.

5.6K Posts

@Vavd wrote:

If you bought it on eBay, request full refund.

I am not sure what you mean by keyboard to hold down Control and Enter. All my laptop keyboards have those keys.

6 Posts

May 1st, 2019 15:00

Thank you.  Was afraid of that.  Yea i did not transfer any ownership.  I did today go buy a cheap USB Keyboard, however would not work.  All this Latitude has for ports are 2 Type-C USB ports.  No regular USB.   I have a male USB to Type-C USB connector I hooked keyboard up with to no avail.    If anyone knows where to get cheaper compatible keyboard ill Love Ya Forever..  

9 Posts

May 1st, 2019 15:00

the 7285s have a designated keyboard that's supposed to be used with them.  You will need the keyboard in order to unlock the BIOS password, there's no way around it.  The passwords given on the https://bios-pw.org/ site do not always work.  If you contact Dell's tech support, they will provide you with a reset password after you confirm that you're the rightful owner of the system (if you purchased on craigslist and didn't contact dell to do an ownership transfer, then they won't be able to validate it for you and help).  When purchasing the tablet thru Dell, it automatically comes with a keyboard so you wouldn't run into these issues.  If you don't want to pay the amount for the designated keyboard, you could always see if there's a USB keyboard you can buy that's compatible with the ports on the system elsewhere.  

5.6K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 11:00

You are probably stuck with paying about $96 for a used official Dell Productivity Keyboard for it.

It is a shame you did not more fully test the laptop when you bought it.

Shame on the seller for not telling you that there was a BIOS password.

6 Posts

May 4th, 2019 22:00

Thank you for trying to help.  I have pretty much came to the same conclusion.  Have to risk spending the 100 for keyboard.  On the other note, i am hurt how got taken advantage off.  Specially when my 10yr old Neice picked it out with me on craigslist. Really have no one to blame but myself.  Should have covered all my angels.  Thanks again

No Events found!