Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:11

March 23rd, 2018 13:00

For the most part our 7389s have stopped with the random reboots/shutdowns but still a significant percentage of our users have the issue even after 1.11.1

20 Posts

March 23rd, 2018 14:00

If Connected Standby is disabled, this BIOS *still* does not resolve the issues listed in this thread.

Why would I want to disable CS?  Because I run audio software and need to ensure glitch-free playback, and there are advanced power management settings and profiles that are hidden when CS is enabled.  For details, see:

https://www.lovemysurface.net/windows-10-power-settings-for-surface/

With CS disabled, this machine still falls flat on its face at an alarming frequency.  Very disappointing.

35 Posts

March 24th, 2018 11:00

What does the latest bios do that's different from bios 1.8.1?

I figure I'll not update unless there's a pressing need. The laptop is working well with the older bios version.

20 Posts

March 25th, 2018 12:00

I just confirmed with another brand new 7389 (my wife's) that with Connected Standby disabled the touch screen ceases to function after the device wakes from sleep.  The problem is not isolated to a specific machine or motherboard.

Interestingly, my old Venue 11 Pro 7130 does not exhibit this problem despite having CS disabled.  All machines have the latest BIOS, drivers, and Windows updates installed.

35 Posts

March 26th, 2018 04:00

I think that disabling connected standby must have been what caused the touch screen to stop working after sleep in my case, also.

https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/Random-shutdowns-and-sleep-problems-with-Latitude-7389/m-p/5870106#M1218

It's not disabled at the moment and all is well.

20 Posts

March 26th, 2018 17:00

That's a good data point to have, and I'm glad there's further corroboration that CS plays a part in this somehow.

Unfortunately, in my case I need to have CS disabled in order to ensure that the CPU and/or GPU isn't being throttled during real-time audio playback.  So for those of us who actually want CS disabled, we're out of luck until Dell issues another BIOS that resolves this.

1 Message

April 2nd, 2018 05:00

The only relief I have had from our 10 5289 and 7389 units deployed randomly rebooting is to repaste the heatsink and remove the Intel thermal framework driver from dell, and only use the thermal framework driver from Microsoft Update. They should be the same update path, but they're different for some reason. We've had multiple heatsinks on our 7389 and 5289 computers have air pockets on the thermal solution. Seems like they are using some sort of thermal pad application to reduce time in manufacturing at the expense of terrible thermals. 

35 Posts

April 21st, 2018 15:00

I've now updated the bios to 1.11.1 (hoping to fix a little niggly issue, which ended up being caused by something else). No random restarts so far, and it's been more than a week.

All is good, thanks Dell.

No Events found!