jbeckers
1 Copper

Re: Latitude 7400 2-in-1 Thunderbolt firmware update hangs

Jump to solution
This is in the release notes for BIOS 1.6.1: - Once the BIOS is upgraded, you cannot downgrade BIOS EXE/ Recovery (RCV) to the versions before 1.6.1. - If you need to downgrade to an older BIOS version, you may follow any one of the below steps, 1. Use BIOS Flash Update in the F12 Boot menu to downgrade the BIOS. 2. Disable the SMM Security Mitigation option from BIOS setup menu before to attempt the downgrade in Windows operating system. I wonder it the second option is what makes this fail.
0 Kudos
jbeckers
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Success! Disable SMM in BIOS and the thunderbolt update utility will work again!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
MaGl
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Running my Lat 7300 on BIOS 1.6.1. Can confirm, switching off SMM Security Mitigation allowed me to install the Thunderbolt 3 firmware update. No need to downgrade the BIOS for me. Thanks, @jbeckers for finding this out.

0 Kudos
DinDjarin
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yep, that did it for us as well! Good find! 🙂

0 Kudos
ernestx
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes is working and no more freeze. Manage update TB3 and TPM 2.0 firmwares.

0 Kudos
olivexer
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Thanks for the hint. Mine is 7400 2-in-1 and newest BIOS is 1.6.0. Don’t know if it’s the same issue and fix. Is this SMM setting in BIOS? Will check it out in a few days when I get reach to the laptop.

0 Kudos
MisterABDell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Someone sent me a similar tip about disabling SMM Security Mitigation on a Latitude 5400 (and 5500) when trying to install the latest TPM firmware they made available recently.  On the latest BIOS version, it would lock Windows solid the moment you ran it.

Dell support had me trying all kinds of things but never once had me check that BIOS option, so they must be unaware of the impact of this across different models.

One very annoying thing I noticed: I can't disable that option using CCTK. If it's already disabled, I can enable it, but going from enabled -> disabled gives an error message. So if you're trying to automate anything, forget about it.

Link to the other post, in case it helps people with the 5400/5500 model find this info easier:

TPM firmware update on Latitude 5400 / 5500 - freezes 

0 Kudos
olivexer
2 Iron

Jump to solution

The SMM trick works on 7400 2-in-1 for both TPM and TBT firmware updates.

0 Kudos