Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

89 Posts

October 14th, 2019 21:00

Latitude 7400 - high(er) CPU when plugged in

Latitude 7400 i5-8365U touchscreen - fully patched with Windows 10 1903 and Dell Command Update.

When running on battery the CPU will idle at 0.80Ghz to 1.2Ghz, the laptop is cool, quiet, and gets pretty good battery life.

When plugged in, the CPU won't idle below 1.5Ghz. The laptop heats up and the fan turns on. I'm typically in a quiet office/room so even at a low speed, I can hear the fan. Was plugged into Dell Thuderbolt TB16 dock all day today and the fan never turned off - even with no apps open.

My non-scientific test is that I keep Task Manager open, and plug in the power. Power comes from a USB-C charger, regular (barrel) power connector, or dock cables (USB-C or Thunderbolt all Dell branded). The CPU will immediately go up to 1.5Ghz+ and the fan turns on. Unplug from power and the CPU throttles down, the laptop cools down, fan gets quiet, then fan turns off.

Never had an issue with the 7490 that this is replacing.

89 Posts

November 15th, 2019 16:00

Does it in the BIOS as well.

Rebooted the machine, went into BIOS and it was fine. Plug the machine in, within a few minutes the fan kicks on and the machine is very warm. Unplug from power and the machine cools down and the fan turns off.

I think this is a BIOS issue. Hopefully engineering can handle it. I have more and more of these to deploy and the fan noise and heat is an issue.

1 Message

January 20th, 2020 11:00

Did you ever find a solution to this? Experiencing the same issue.

1 Message

January 29th, 2020 03:00

Hi I can see that on my device too! If there is an update here, please let me know. This topic is really annoying!

1 Message

January 29th, 2020 06:00

We have a community with over 3000 users who are experiencing same issues with the 7490 and the 7400. Even when updating all drivers and firmware, it doesn't help at all. 

Still no solution regarding these issues from DELL -> still under investigation with DELL.

When checking with HW INFO (7400 device):

MajidSO_0-1580306750014.png

It's like a plane who's taking off but all the time. 

9 Posts

January 31st, 2020 05:00

Same here. Regarding to task manager: https://i.imgur.com/xRmFkTd.gifv

1. Plugged (dock WD19): 2-4 GHz and getting hot & loud

2. Unplugged: 0.9 -1.3 GHz, silent & cold

3. Plugged:  2-4 GHz and getting hot & loud, even when idle.

Dell Command fully updated.

1 Message

April 5th, 2020 03:00

Hello, how is it possible to track this issue? Would like to know a solution as soon as possible. 

Thank you in advance.

1 Message

April 7th, 2020 21:00

I have the same issue

my DOCK WD19TB,

plugging DOCK, system really heat and fan up. Then it really annoys too much

Please have solution soon.

Thanks,

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

April 8th, 2020 04:00

Active cooling policy in control panel power settings, windows battery meter on best performance, charging generates heat due to more power being drawn and the electricity flowing through the laptop, maybe your Dell Power Settings are on performance rather than something else.

Check which apps are consuming more CPU and RAM

89 Posts

April 8th, 2020 09:00

@AdrianG001 This happens with nothing running. It appears to be an issue with the hardware not letting the CPU throttle down when plugged in. Running on battery the CPU will get into the 0.80Ghz range and run nice and cool. Just plug it in and it will jump to 1.5Ghz. No other changes besides plugging it in.

Seems to be happening to quite a few people. Curious if these are all machines with i5, or if the i7 does it as well.

April 9th, 2020 13:00

I've got a 7400 with i7-8665U and I'm having the exact same issue.  I haven't found any power or performance setting that will cause the processor to spin down when it's idle.  Resource Monitor shows 15% CPU Usage, but 140 - 168% Maximum Frequency, and the fan is running full out.  Switch to battery and the % of Maximum Frequency drops significantly and the machine will cool off.  If anyone finds a solution, please post it.

89 Posts

April 9th, 2020 13:00

Meant to post the same findings as @Shawn-OKC yesterday after I found a 7400 with an i7 in the org.....same results. No CPU spinning down.

New BIOS yesterday, no change in CPU multipliers when on power/dock.

April 9th, 2020 14:00

I followed the instructions in this article to get the processor power management settings to show up in the Windows 10 Power Plan.  Once I did that, my processor will now drop to a lower % Maximum Frequency when it is idle (even when I have the max set at 100% in the plan).  Now that those settings are available, I can even hard cap it if I want.

https://www.gizbeat.com/13068/missing-processor-power-management-settings-option-in-advanced-power-options-settings/

89 Posts

April 9th, 2020 14:00

I had found that earlier and I have my Minimum processor state at 5% for both, Passive cooling, and Maximum processor at 100% for both. Still doesn't go lower.

89 Posts

April 9th, 2020 15:00

I set up a new power plan with 'Power Saver' as the baseline and set the CPU minimum to 1% and the max to 100%. The CPU is idling down to 1.02Ghz. Within 2 minutes the fan went much lower, I think it will go off once the machine actually cools down.

So set the registry entry that @Shawn-OKC mentioned, set up a new power plan.....and the CPU will go much lower.

Not ideal. So not sure if this is a Dell or a Windows thing. Leaning towards Windows......

April 13th, 2020 05:00

I can't agree more. It is just so annoying. I am so disappointed. I have to shift to all non-essential work on my Thinkpad.

No Events found!