Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DR

4 Posts

January 28th, 2020 21:00

Latitude 7400 with DW5821e can't connect using mobile data

So I got this out-of-the-box running the pre-installed Windows 10 OS.

I placed my SIM inside the slot but it seems I cannot whatsoever enable cellular connectivity.

WWAN adapter appears on Device manager, mobile broadband firmware got updated on first connectivity to the internet (using WIFI).

When I try to "Diagnose" the adapter on Network settings, it says that "The mobile broadband device is SIM PIN2 locked.". Obviously my SIM isn't locked since I checked it on another device and it works flawlessly.

I have also tried to use Linux instead of Window but encountered the same issue - the adapter cannot be used (Linux detects it just fine and I can query the modem just fine but can't enable it).

Any ideas?

8 Posts

February 11th, 2020 09:00

Hi, yes unfortunately this is probably a so called FCC lock.

See this page for a resolution that you can run some commands for example from Ubuntu:

https://github.com/xmm7360/xmm7360-usb-modeswitch.

Don't know if this also works on DW5821e which i already have a lot of issues with after installation of this card in a Dell Precision 7740

February 16th, 2020 06:00

Well, the modem indeed seems locked.

When trying to enable the modem using mmcli - I get a failure.

When querying the modem using qmicli for operational mode - I get "Low power" (hence device is not online)

When I try to set operational mode to online - I get FwWriteFailed

When querying the modem using qmicli for activation-state - I get "Not Activated"

When I try to set FCC Authentication using qmicli - I get a failure "MissingArguments"

Back to the store I guess. This is very disappointing.

105 Posts

February 16th, 2020 12:00

Let’s start at the beginning. Did you, or did you not, order the laptop, new, from Dell, with Windows 10 and the DW5821e, preinstalled, including a preinstalled SIM card with preinstalled app for AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon Wireless?

If so, when you took delivery of the laptop you could have figured out whether or not the DW5821e worked the first time you booted the laptop. Windows would have flagged Cellular connectivity right from the start. All you had to do was follow the prompts and the service provider would have responded with “Are you a new or existing customer?” That’s all it takes, that proves you exchanged data with the service provider and the service provide exchanged data with you. You don’t need to do another thing to prove it works.

As for your SIM card, what device is it for?  

The DW5821e manual says it is locked and you must call Dell to make it work. This was not my experience on two laptops with the card. Both worked fine the first time I tried.

@kjhkjhjhh

> Don't know if this also works on DW5821e which i already have a lot of issues with after installation of this card in a Dell Precision 7740 

In other words, you didn’t buy the Precision 7740 with the DW5821e. I’m curious, what led you to believe that you could buy the card afterwards and then make it work? Nothing I can find online gives me that impression.

February 16th, 2020 22:00

I bought the laptop brand new from an authorized Dell dealer, with the DW5821e pre-installed, along with Windows 10 Pro as the OS.

I have used a SIM card I have been using for 3 years now with my old Dell Latitude laptop.

105 Posts

February 18th, 2020 17:00

Walmart, is an authorized Dell dealer. Have you tried calling Dell and if so what was the outcome? What service provider is it?  It is an MVNO?

July 15th, 2020 06:00

I have the exact same issue with a Latitude 7300 and the same 4G/LTE card!

"Diagnose" gives the same message as OP gets. I've tried removing the PIN-code without any luck.

July 15th, 2020 09:00

@david.rozen 

Looks like the "Dell Wireless 5821e and Dell Wireless 5829e/Qualcomm Snapdragon X20 LTE Customer Kit Tool" fixed the problem! 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=100fv&oscode=wt64a

Download this file and extract the content. Then run "1_Click_Cust_Kit_Tool.exe" and press "Enable radio".

Then it just started working

You can find this yourself if you for example go to the Latitude 7400 Dell support page and choose the "Modem/Communications" category.

Under compatible Systems, Dell has listet the following models:
Latitude 7300
Latitude 7310
Latitude 7400
Latitude 7410
Precision 7540
Precision 7740

29 Posts

October 8th, 2020 17:00

Try going into the Cellular setting and change from SIM 2 to SIM 1 under "Use this SIM cellular data".

April 7th, 2022 01:00

Hi,

I'm getting "no cuskit in the system" message and the button is disabled

No Events found!