Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2021 17:00

Latitude 7420 BIOS update to 1.9.6 cause system boot delay

Just checking to see if anyone has similar issue.

We've recently bought 5 new latitude 7420 laptop. running 1 unit through command update to get all the latest drivers & patches I noticed it takes almost 2 min to get Dell logo to show on the power up screen.

Wasn't aware of the issue at the time, until  noticed the same issue when I go through setting up the second unit.

Both units are running BIOS version 1.9.6.

Then I fired up the 3rd unit just to confirm, only updating BIOS this time and nothing else, same issues happened.

Dropped BIOS version down to 1.9.3 and boot delay issue disappears.

Has anyone had similar issue?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 8th, 2021 11:00

BIOS 1.12.2 appears to be fixing the issue for some. If you have not installed it, do so and retest. BIOS 1.13.0 addressed a different issue.

Latitude 7320/7420/7520 BIOS 1.12.2, November 24, 2021
Fixes & Enhancements
- Fixed the issue where the system cannot resume from Modern Standby using the proximity sensor.
- Fixed the issue where the system prompts for a password after rebooting the system when Reboot Bypass is enabled in BIOS Setup menu.
- Fixed the issue where the system does not respond after disconnecting the Dell W19TBS dock when Enable Thunderbolt Boot Support option is enabled in BIOS.

Latitude 7320/7420/7520 BIOS 1.13.0, December 8, 2021
Fixes & Enhancements
- Improved the system stability for Hynix 8G/16G memory.

4 Posts

October 6th, 2021 06:00

I was having the same issue. The laptops came with version 1.9.6 and the boot delay was terrible. Dropped to 1.9.3 and issue is gone. 

• 

25K Posts

October 6th, 2021 11:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

October 6th, 2021 12:00

Glad I came across this. Nearly 45 seconds to POST is not good. Would have been tickets galore. Dropped to 1.9.3 and no change. Keyboard lights up, fan spins, 45 seconds later the machine will POST. Painful to wait for these to boot. 

28 Posts

October 8th, 2021 10:00

Backed off my Latitude 7520 to BIOS 1.9.3 and post is fine but I did notice the big delay going to 1.9.6.  Worse yet, I started having memory issues with 1.9.6 even though that is the only listed "fix";

"- BIOS V1.9.6 addresses potential memory corruption issues by making adjustments to memory frequency to improve overall system stability"

I had multiple issues of memory corruption after upgrading to 1.9.6 which I have never seen before. I have backed off to 1.9.3 which was working fine for me before so we shall see if the memory issue is also resolved.  Sounds like Dell needs to pull 1.9.6 until they get it fixed.

October 9th, 2021 07:00

I too have noticed this...is what brought me to this thread. I noticed it first on my own PC. We're just now imaging and rolling out a couple hundred new units that have already been fully updated. Hope Dell pushes a fix quick to Command Update. I'd hate to have to go roll back 300 PC's!

October 12th, 2021 07:00

Also downgraded to 1.9.3 - at least that worked...

4 Posts

October 13th, 2021 06:00

We have the same problem with 7320. All computers with 1.9.6 takes about a minute longer to boot.

/Markus

2 Posts

October 13th, 2021 07:00

Not only I'm experiencing the mentioned boot delay. My system also runs in memory-related BSODs since upgrade to 1.9.6, although that should have been fixed but never was an issue before. Not good, Dell!

October 14th, 2021 06:00

Glad I wasn't going crazy. We just received  our new Latitude 7520 (qty 9) and we were busy setting it up by doing all the updates before deployment. We then discovered the 60-70 secs added boot delay from cold boot up on all 8 laptops. The delay is not present when you do a restart from the OS; only occurs from powered off state. We then fired the 9th one without doing any updates and it behaved normal without delay. We did the updates one by one and then narrowed it down to the 1.9.6 BIOS update as the culprit. Before discovering this thread, we decided to try downgrading the BIOS to 1.9.3 and luckily the issue went away. We are now busy rolling back the other 8 laptops down to v1.9.3.

@DELL-Cares, I can't believe Dell hasn't pulled out v1.9.6 and I honestly don't have the time and energy to deal with their  L1 support to make them aware of this issue. Hopefully this thread will get their attention.!

Edit:
Plenty of other threads complaining about the same issue:
https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/7420-1-minute-cold-boot-after-bios-v1-96/td-p/8047624
https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/Dell-7420-slow-boot-after-Bios-Update/td-p/8049483

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 18th, 2021 10:00

Both of these are still under investigation.

Latitude 7320/7420/7520 slow boot with the now pulled BIOS 1.9.6. The workaround is to roll back to BIOS 1.9.3.

Latitude 7320/7420/7520 may experience blue screen issue when in idle or daily operation. The workaround is to turn C-State off in the BIOS- Performance.

October 20th, 2021 06:00

I can give you 10 serials. I have the useless Pro Support on 10 of these machines.

And before you ask, it has the Dell image and Windows 10 Pro that came with it.

If it is not BIOS issues, it is stuttering that people complain about. If not stuttering its audio issues.

These machines are not performing.

1 Message

October 21st, 2021 05:00

I have experienced the same problem! I got a new Latitude 7420 in September, used Dell Command Update several times to update the BIOS and other stuff, and then noticed than my boosted i7 laptop suddenly took forever (1-2 minutes) between hitting the power-on button and asking me my bitlocker password, or entering the BIOS with F2 or F12

I first suspected a hardware problem, because at the same time I updated the BIOS, I also had to open the laptop to remove a loose screw moving around the laptop and making some noise (don't know where this came from, in a brand new laptop)

I then found this thread and I was about to downgrade the BIOS from the current "slow boot 1.9.6". I first thought I'd run Dell Command Update a last time, in case there was a new (post 1.9.6) BIOS available, and installed some new stuff : some Intel drivers and something called "Support Assist OS Recovery". And then my laptop was booting at a decent speed again!

Since the boot speed was sometimes OK, I tried several times to enter the BIOS with F2 or F12, and I noticed that when booting with F12, one of the many menus I got was called "Support Assist OS Recovery".

Boot, push F12 and be patient => Preparing one-time boot menu => Click on the "Support Assist OS Recovery panel" and the laptop reboots in a brand new "SupportAssist OS Recovery" mode (the displayed version is v 5.5.0.16041)

I suspect that something may have been wrong or missing in 1.9.6, thus delaying the POST boot time

The BIOS seems nicer, BUT much more complex than it used to be. Lot more options and diagnostics probably lead to more delays or causes for bugs

1 Message

October 28th, 2021 07:00

I’m also facing same issue specially the recent bios update, any resolution yet from Dell??

1 Message

October 28th, 2021 10:00

We bought 6 of these laptops and all of them had issues, One of them Dell had to come and replace the motherboard due to memory failures, the 2nd laptop dead pixels , again I had to contact them and they replaced the screen, another one the charging USB C port was not working, and the rest of them have been pretty unstable. I really do not recommend this laptops at all. Dell need to start testing more these high-end laptops before they release them to the public.   

No Events found!