Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2021 17:00

Latitude 7420 BIOS update to 1.9.6 cause system boot delay

Just checking to see if anyone has similar issue.

We've recently bought 5 new latitude 7420 laptop. running 1 unit through command update to get all the latest drivers & patches I noticed it takes almost 2 min to get Dell logo to show on the power up screen.

Wasn't aware of the issue at the time, until  noticed the same issue when I go through setting up the second unit.

Both units are running BIOS version 1.9.6.

Then I fired up the 3rd unit just to confirm, only updating BIOS this time and nothing else, same issues happened.

Dropped BIOS version down to 1.9.3 and boot delay issue disappears.

Has anyone had similar issue?

November 16th, 2021 08:00

You should also check the specifications of the equipment on the Dell page. For example on the page comes the memory speed 4267mhz, and if your computer has the same speed or is a lower speed, since in my case it came with a speed lower than 3733mhz this is another error, likewise, the specifications of the processor.

1 Message

November 24th, 2021 12:00

Dell just released BIOS update 1.12.2 on 11/24/2021 which fixed the specified issue.  It took down the book time from 1 minute and 15 seconds to just under 10 seconds on my machines.

1 Message

November 25th, 2021 06:00

I can confirm that the issue seems gone now with 1.12.2 update (still I'll keep an eye on next startup times).

The update can be downloaded directly here as it is stil not shown in Dell Command.

1 Rookie

• 

48 Posts

November 25th, 2021 08:00

Is this issue present in bios ver. 1.11.3?? we just pushed this version to a bunch of clients. They are publishing updates very frequently. Hope customers will not rush the office tomorrow.

3 Posts

December 12th, 2021 14:00

I even made the upgrade to 1.13.0, which have the same delay start issue.

Until now i tested the following firmware versions:

1.8.2 is ok no start-up delay

1.9.3 is ok no start-up delay

1.9.6 have long start-up delay

1.13.0 have long start-up delay

3 Posts

December 12th, 2021 14:00

I even made the upgrade to 1.12.2, which have the same delay start issue

1 Message

December 27th, 2021 16:00

Thanks for this, it is very helpful.

My Latitude 7420 faced the same boot delay issue using BIOS version 1.9.6. and I had to downgrade it to 1.9.3 to solve the problem, back in about two months ago, Nov 1, 2021.

Now the Dell Command Update suggests upgrading to 1.13.0, after checking your post, I decided to postpone the update until the problem is fixed.

3 Posts

December 30th, 2021 12:00

Hi,

My first upgrade to 1.13.0. Failed

I tryed second time and after I made default bios and worked fine, without delay.

Maybe was there something which didn't liked, but now is OK.

Have a great end of the year

6 Posts

June 4th, 2022 01:00

Same issue with the latest update for Dell Latitude 5X90 (update no. Latitude_5X90_1.22.0)
It rendered my laptop completely unusable.
Downgraded to 1.21.0 and everything is fine again.

June 13th, 2023 10:00

Cuando han actualizado el bios surge un cambio en la velocidad de la memoria, la cual es diferente a la que corresponde por la cantidad de memoria del equipo:

• Para los equipos que tiene 8 GB/16 GB: 3733 MHz

Cuando se actualiza el BIOS, Esta cambia a una velocidad menor o mayor en cualquier caso se da un Boot delay y lentitud en todos los procesos de los equipos, frezándose hasta bloquearse o reiniciarse, sufriendo hiperventilación y aumento de temperatura. En los casos de usan SAP y Office con Análisis BPC EPM y otros programas que requieren el uso adecuado de la memoria dan problemas en los que el programa se para por la falta de la característica correcta de la memoria.

• Para los equipos que tienen 32 GB: 4267 MHz

Cuando se actualiza el BIOS, Esta cambia a una velocidad menor o mayor en cualquier caso se da un Boot delay y lentitud en todos los procesos de los equipos, frezándose hasta bloquearse o reiniciarse, sufriendo hiperventilación y aumento de temperatura.  En los casos de usan SAP y Office con Análisis BPC EPM y otros programas que requieren el uso adecuado de la memoria dan problemas en los que el programa se para por la falta de la característica correcta de la memoria. 

si tiene garantia deben cambiar el board hasta que quede la velocidad correcta.

No Events found!