Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

1 Message

August 22nd, 2018 06:00

Latitude 7480, 2 amber lights 4 white lights

Hello guys,

I read over some posts about another series laptop also being affected with this,found a method that consists to connect it to a external display (docking's monitors are valid) and worked good,video shows.

This morning i had the same issue and external displays aren't resolving the situation.

The motherboard was replaced some months back..

is someone with this issue on Latitude 7480?

• 

16.7K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 06:00

The 2 amber lights followed by 4 white lights on a Dell Latitude 7480 indicates a RAM/Memory Failure.

Here are some steps to try:

1. Reseat the Original Memory: If applicable to your model, reseat the original memory module in the system. Sometimes, reseating the RAM can resolve the issue.

2. Check for Damaged RAM: If reseating the RAM doesn’t work, consider checking for any visible damage to the RAM sticks. If they appear damaged, you may need to replace them.

3. Firmware Updates: Ensure that your system’s firmware (BIOS) is up to date. Sometimes, updating the firmware can resolve hardware-related issues.

Helpful video below:

If you still need assistance, please contact support by clicking the ‘Get Help Now’ button located at the bottom right corner of the page. The button is marked with a help icon for easy recognition as per the picture below: 

(edited)

July 11th, 2019 10:00

i am also facing the same issue on inspiron 5570

1 Message

September 4th, 2019 03:00

Thanks. Its much helpful

Are memory and RAM the same.

If i replace RAM will it work Okay

1 Message

September 9th, 2019 09:00

Thanks for this! I had the same 4 White/2 Amber blink code on a 7480 as original poster and re-seating the ram and doing firmware updates cleared up all my issues.

1 Message

September 18th, 2019 23:00

Hello Jesse,

Does this apply to model Latitude 5490 and 7490  as well ?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 19th, 2019 06:00

@JessWong666 those codes are uniform across the last few generations of Latitudes.

To get an accurate diagnostics sequence it's recommended that you try a diagnostic boot by holding down the Fn key and powering on the system. The system will then flash the power button in sequence to advise what fault its encountering.

Blinking Pattern

Possible Problem Problem Description
Amber White
CPU CPU failure
BIOS ROM failure System board failure (included BIOS corruption or ROM error)
Memory No memory/ RAM detected
Memory Memory/ RAM failure
Memory Invalid memory installed
Chipset System board/ Chipset error
LCD LCD failure
RTC power failure CMOS battery failure
PCI/ Video PCI or Video card/ chip failure
BIOS recovery 1 Recovery image not found
BIOS recovery 2 Recovery image found but invalid

If you are currently encountering this issue I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details.

Alan

October 21st, 2019 13:00

Same, when I was able to get the computer back on I went ahead and did the diagnostic F5 choice when it started the memory test the screen produced black and white lines and once again locked up. 

I will buy two new RAM sticks to see if this solves this problem and let you know

1 Message

March 7th, 2020 11:00

I have the same 2 amber lights and 4 white lights are flashing continuously and windows is not getting started.

Can someone help me on this issue please?

Best Regards,

Naresh

2 Posts

March 12th, 2020 08:00

Sorry, I actually have 2 amber lights and 5 white lights. Does it mean the memory (RAM) is broken and I need to change the memory (RAM)?

2 Posts

March 12th, 2020 08:00

Hi, I have the same problem. However, after trying to reseat the memory (RAM), i.e. taking out the RAMs and putting them back in the slots, the problem persist. Any advice how to solve the issue?

No Events found!