derkan75
1 Nickel

Re: Latitude 7480 consistent bluescreen plugging in thunderb

I had similar problems that seem resolved by asmedia driver 1.16.55.1 and dock firmware 1.0.2
https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/New-7490-TB16-Skype-for-Business-BSOD-in-asmtxhci-sys/td-p/5...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
decker12
2 Iron

I gave up on the TB16s. I don't buy them anymore. They're a hassle to implement and poorly built. 

Every single one of my TB16s I still have in my office has twisted, fraying TB3 cables. Something about the rubber they used just looks and feels like garbage after a couple of months.

I've had to tape up the thunderbolt connector because the plastic bit around it falls apart. I've had three of them RMA'ed, and two additional ones have fell out of warranty and have just flat out stopped working (no lights on the TB3 connector). I've dissembled one and unplugged it's power ribbon cable from the motherboard inside of it and that fixes it for a few weeks before it happens again.

Plus that firmware upgrade process was a joke. The only way I could get the firmware to update is if I plugged in the massive 240w power adapter to it (which costs more even though a 14" ultraportable should never need that kind of power), and even then it was hit or miss when trying to update it from a brand spanking new out of the box 7490.

Great product, Dell, just great.

When they break, I replace them with "Caldigit TB3+" docks. They work great, are the same price, and have a removable cable so you can buy an Active TB cable for longer lengths if you need it.

kelemvor33
2 Iron

I have the same problem with all of our brand new XPS 15 9570s.  These don't seem to have the ASMedia USB controller.  My Device Manager shows just an Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft).

Dell Command Update says everything is up to date so I don't know what to do.

0 Kudos
kelemvor33
2 Iron

OK, I didn't have the TB16 connected when I checked earlier.  I connected it and now see the ASMedia thing in Device Manager.  However, when I check the driver info in Device Manager, I have version 10.0.17134.1 date 4/10/2018 which doesn't match anything I've found in other threads.  Anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
dc288
1 Nickel

All,

If on ASMEDIA driver 1.16.55.1

Remove the following entry at registry key (make a backup copy first):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\asmtxhci\Parameters

DmaRemappingCompatible

Reboot

-

That is the only difference that 1.16.55.1 has and rolling back the driver does not remove that registry key.

More information on what DMAremapping does:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/policy-csp-dmaguard

This policy is intended to provide additional security against external DMA capable devices. It allows for more control over the enumeration of external DMA capable devices incompatible with DMA Remapping/device memory isolation and sandboxing.

Device memory sandboxing allows the OS to leverage the I/O Memory Management Unit (IOMMU) of a device to block unallowed I/O, or memory access, by the peripheral. In other words, the OS assigns a certain memory range to the peripheral. If the peripheral attempts to read/write to memory outside of the assigned range, the OS blocks it.

#Iwork4Dell

#Iwork4Dell

@Community,

Couple of points regarding the TB16+Skype BSOD concern:

-The fix from dc288 is not a Dell-Support-approved work around but is one that can be tried if you’re comfortable with doing so. Make sure you backup all data and gather all recovery media before ever touching the registry.

-Even though the fix from dc288 is not yet a Dell supported work around, it has been tested by Dell under best effort and has stopped the BSOD from occurring

-Dell engineering is working on a new driver in order to resolve the BSOD. I will be back in the future with updates on that

Thank you for your feedback on this issue.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos

@Community,

The new driver 1.16.56.1 is now posted and can be found here

Thank you for the conversation and all the feedback on this. 

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos