Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2018 00:00

Latitude 7480 keyboard issue (mostly missed keys)

Hello,

I'd like to ask if i am the only one with some issues about the Latitude 7480 keyboard (bios 1.7.3, was the same with 1.8.1 too).

if i type normal (e.g. not very slowly) some keys are missed:

if i have to type "system" it produced sytem (the s is missed). (same behavior is observed in uefi shell, or bios add boot options)

if i have to type cat .. |grep , usually the result of typing is ...|Grep (like i am keeping pressing the shift key..)

if i have to use ctrl-shift-c / ctrl-shift-v (shortcuts for copy/paste) usually i just get C and V (e.g. ctrl missed)

using shift-ctrl-tab (to scroll between tabs / windows backward) in most cases produces just ctrl-tab (forward scroll)

this happens in linux, both console and Xorg, as well in windows (virtualized guest) and also in bios.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

April 17th, 2018 12:00

@Community,

@DELL-Alasdair R brought me your report and I'm pleased to announce that I have replicated the missing key stroke behavior on the Latitude 7490. It happened for me mostly when I tried to type "that this". Sometimes I would get "that his". Missing "T".

I'm now reporting this to Dell engineering. I will reply back within the next 2 weeks with an update.

Note: XPS 13 9370 has a pending BIOS release for the next month for a similar issue.

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2018 06:00

Hi @DELL-Justin C,

I have the new Latitude 7490 and the same issue. BIOS was updated to the latest version (1.3.3), nothing changed.

Sometimes it misses some keys, like typing "ubuntu" I'm getting "ubntu". And sometimes it misses touchpad move events.

May 2nd, 2018 07:00

@DELL-Justin C it's been about two weeks since your last post- any updates on this?

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 10:00

@321_contact,

Still not new updates for 7490. I do know that the BIOS team has been notified. We're just waiting to hear from them.

1 Message

May 4th, 2018 05:00

Hello, 

I want to report that with the new bios my problem with Shift+Ctrl to change the language is still present. 

I do not have or had other problems with the keyboard before or after the update. 

Sorry, it was my bad. I had 2 times EN and it had to circulate around 3 languages while I thought they were 2...

May 21st, 2018 23:00

I'm also experiencing this issue on a 7490. Awaiting the BIOS update.

4 Posts

May 23rd, 2018 13:00

I'm also experiencing this issue on a 5590. Awaiting the BIOS update too.

Very strange issue - I've never faced a similar problem before on any laptop...

40 Posts

May 24th, 2018 09:00

A BIOS update that fix this issue has been provided for the XPS 13 9370.

When can we expect the same for the 7x90 models?

It is really a pain using this internal keyboard ...

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 31st, 2018 12:00

@Community,

Here's the status on the keyboard concern:

9370 - Solved in 1.3.2 and also carried over to 1.3.3

7490 - A new BIOS has been finalized. I was able to test this new BIOS myself and it does indeed solve the keyboard issue. I've asked engineering for public release ETA and am awaiting their response

5590 - I've asked Dell engineering if they're planning the same fix for the 5590. Awaiting their reply

I'll get back with updates as soon as get them.

2 Posts

June 7th, 2018 08:00

I have the same problem with a 7470, do you have an update bios planned for it as well?

1 Message

June 12th, 2018 22:00

Hi.

I'm on BIOS 1.9.3 on a Latitude 7480 and I'm experiencing the same kind of problem.
When I type "tre" (like in "centre") fast, there's a Ctrl-F added somewhere. Pretty annoying.

I don't recall having this issue (or any keyboard issue) on the previous BIOS version.

June 17th, 2018 17:00

Same issue here with Latitude 7490. I'm relieved to see that it's not just my system or setup, but also concerned that the issue is so prevalent. It is particularly annoying because I use Ctrl-Alt-arrows to switch desktops, and half the time the Ctrl key does not get registered, so I end up with the currently active window responding to Alt-arrow (for example, in Chrome this goes back to the previous website, in my editor it opens the menu, etc). Highly annoying and unacceptable for a high-end business machine!

40 Posts

June 18th, 2018 01:00

Hello.

Still no news regarding the Bios update for 7x90?

The problem was reported more than two month ago and the laptop is almost not usable in that condition.(what a pity for a brand new laptop)

Dell, please do something quickly otherwise we are going to buy from your competitors.

For the moment I must admit that I regret very much this purchase.

1 Message

June 20th, 2018 08:00

Same inquiry here... I have a 7490 and have updated to the latest BIOS.  Missing keys is still very obvious and frustrating, is there any update on when the BIOS update will be published for us to finally get past this hardware/performance issue?

Typing alot of long papers and documents, this issue is very frustrating to deal with.

11 Posts

June 20th, 2018 19:00

Latitude 7390 here and I see this issue a LOT!.   It's most often seen when there is a word or name with the same letter repeated after another letter.  Just try typing Alaska on this business-class machine.  The second A is missing 3 out of 4 times.  This.is infuriating for someone who can type more than 35 words per minute.

No Events found!