Re: Latitude 7480 keyboard issue (mostly missed keys)

Jump to solution

@AlexHagen,

Thank you for your 5289 report. I've started a case on that and will be attempting replication of the issue on that model soon. I've also reported it to Dell engineering as an additional model with the issue. 

History and new updates on various models:

XPS 9550 1.7.0 Improved keyboard typing experience with high typing speed.

XPS 9560 1.9.4 Prevent ghost key trigger while pressing multiple keys at the same time.

Precision 5510 1.7.0 Improved keyboard typing experience with high typing speed.

Precision 5520 1.9.4 Prevent ghost key trigger while pressing multiple keys at the same time.

XPS 13 9370 - Fix introduced in BIOS 1.3.3 and carried over to latest 1.4.0

XPS 13 9365 - Dell engineering has committed to a BIOS update. New ETA to come soon

Latitude 7490 - Dell engineering has committed to new BIOS update and we're awaiting a new release ETA

Inspiron 13 5379 - reported to me earlier this week as having the same issue. Working to replicate in house

XPS 15 9570 - Dell engineering is now looking to add the fix to future 9570 BIOS release. Still no full commitment or ETA.

Latitude 7390 - Dell Committed to BIOS update to resolve. Waiting on ETA

Latitude 5590 - New BIOS completed and we're now awaiting an ETA for release ( tested the BIOS today myself and it does in fact resolve the key skip )

XPS 13 9350 - Per @ Heavenly Melancholy 's report I have pulled our own 9350 asset and replicated the issue just now. Reporting the issue to Dell engineering shortly. Will be back with ETA in the future

Latitude 5289 - Started a case in order to replicate the issue and reported the issue to Dell engineering.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
AlexHagen
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for all your help, much appreciated 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dkdkdk
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Released for 7490 as of this morning!

The wait is over!

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=944R4

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@dkdkdk,

Thank you for posting the new BIOS.

@alayac,

Dkdkdk's Link includes 7390 as well.

0 Kudos
alayac
6 Indium

Jump to solution
Thanks Justin. I'll post back once I apply the update. I usually wait about a week before applying any firmware updates just in case there is a major issue that hasn't been identified. I've been burned a few times in the past with the very occasional bad bios update and once with a faulty thunderbolt update.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@dshabanin,

New 5590 BIOS is released. Also see significantly updated list below:

Resolved:

XPS 9550 1.7.0 Improved keyboard typing experience with high typing speed.

XPS 9560 1.9.4 Prevent ghost key trigger while pressing multiple keys at the same time.

Precision 5510 1.7.0 Improved keyboard typing experience with high typing speed.

Precision 5520 1.9.4 Prevent ghost key trigger while pressing multiple keys at the same time.

XPS 13 9370 - Fix introduced in BIOS 1.3.3 and carried over to latest 1.4.0

Latitude 5289 - 1.13.0  - Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time

Latitude 5290 - 1.3.2 Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time.

Latitude 5490 - 1.3.2 Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time.

Latitude 5590 - 1.3.2 Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time.

Latitude 7290 - 1.4.1 Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time.

Latitude 7390 - 1.4.1 Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time.

Latitude 7490 - 1.4.1 Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time.

In progress:

XPS 13 9350 - Issue replicated in house and concern submitted to Dell engineering. Awaiting updates from internal sources. 

XPS 13 9365 - Dell engineering has committed to a BIOS update. New ETA to come soon

XPS 15 9570 - Dell engineering is now looking to add the fix to future 9570 BIOS release. Still no full commitment or ETA.

Precision 5530 - Attempting issue replication today

Inspiron 13 5379 - The inspiration 5379 was confirmed to have a different issue and will not be receiving the same fix.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@AlexHagen,

I didn't see this on the below site the other day but the Latitude 5289's drivers page has a BIOS posted on July 3.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=GDN8F

"- Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time."

Can you test and report back? I've added it to my previous post since it's likely to be resolved now. 

0 Kudos
magnomizer
1 Copper

Jump to solution

It's good to see so many BIOS being updated to address this problem. I own a Dell XPS 13 9343 and the issue is also persisting with this model. When can I expect a fix?

0 Kudos
dshabanin
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Dear @DELL-Justin C,

Thanks a lot for support!

I confirm - the issue has been resolved on Latitude 5590! Full sense of a new laptop! 🙂

0 Kudos
serhiom
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, for XPS 9550 the issue is still present, even with the 1.7.0. version of the BIOS

0 Kudos