Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2018 00:00

Latitude 7480 keyboard issue (mostly missed keys)

Hello,

I'd like to ask if i am the only one with some issues about the Latitude 7480 keyboard (bios 1.7.3, was the same with 1.8.1 too).

if i type normal (e.g. not very slowly) some keys are missed:

if i have to type "system" it produced sytem (the s is missed). (same behavior is observed in uefi shell, or bios add boot options)

if i have to type cat .. |grep , usually the result of typing is ...|Grep (like i am keeping pressing the shift key..)

if i have to use ctrl-shift-c / ctrl-shift-v (shortcuts for copy/paste) usually i just get C and V (e.g. ctrl missed)

using shift-ctrl-tab (to scroll between tabs / windows backward) in most cases produces just ctrl-tab (forward scroll)

this happens in linux, both console and Xorg, as well in windows (virtualized guest) and also in bios.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

July 13th, 2018 12:00

@AlexHagen,

I didn't see this on the below site the other day but the Latitude 5289's drivers page has a BIOS posted on July 3.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=GDN8F

"- Fixed keyboard trigger abnormal when press multiple keys at the same time."

Can you test and report back? I've added it to my previous post since it's likely to be resolved now. 

1 Message

July 13th, 2018 18:00

It's good to see so many BIOS being updated to address this problem. I own a Dell XPS 13 9343 and the issue is also persisting with this model. When can I expect a fix?

4 Posts

July 14th, 2018 12:00

Dear @DELL-Justin C,

Thanks a lot for support!

I confirm - the issue has been resolved on Latitude 5590! Full sense of a new laptop! :-)

1 Message

July 15th, 2018 13:00

Unfortunately, for XPS 9550 the issue is still present, even with the 1.7.0. version of the BIOS

July 15th, 2018 20:00

7480 - issue persists with BIOS 1.10.1, dated 7/2/2018. 

11 Posts

July 17th, 2018 16:00

@DELL-Justin CI'm happy to confirm that the keyboard issue is resolved on the Latitude 7390 after applying BIOS 1.4.1. (Also confirmed on the Latitude 7490.) Thanks for keeping up with this thread and letting us know when the updates are released.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

July 18th, 2018 11:00

@magnomizer,

Due to your report: I've replicated the issue in house on XPS 13 9343 and will be sending it up the ladder. I will be in touch with status updates.

@dshabanin,

Thank you for reporting your results regarding 5590. 

@serhiom and @Russ Fish,

I will re-attempt issue replication with latest BIOS on 9550 and 7480 and report back.

@alayac,

Thank you for sharing those results. 

July 25th, 2018 17:00

Any update on this issue, or is there an escalation path? This is an ongoing problem across many models. Speaking for myself, this is a lot of money to spend for a laptop that fails its most basic functions.

July 25th, 2018 19:00

this is just now becoming an issue for my e7440.    It had been intermittent but now is a full-time issue.       I wonder why it just now started.    Would this be a case of failing hardware?      

I updated to the latest BIOS from March.   Will be on the lookout for driver fixes

117 Posts

August 5th, 2018 18:00

Hi, I had this issue with the Latitude 7490 and the new firmware fixes this.

However, it also seemed to introduce a new bug where letters do not appear in order. For example, if I type "hello", it could turn out as "ehllo" for some reason.

You can test this by spamming two keys consecutively, e.g. 'ananananananan' could appear as ''anananaanannan"

3 Posts

August 10th, 2018 03:00

I can confirm this issue exists in the 9570.  I am constantly having to retype words because of missed characters from the keyboard.  As a programmer, this is a huge problem and seriously hinders the productivity of my brand new XPS laptop.  As of today all software is up to date with latest drivers and bios updated through the Dell Support Assist application (although the Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver fails to install).  Come on Dell, after all this time you should be doing a better job with your released products.

:smileysad:

2 Posts

August 14th, 2018 01:00

Hi, will there be I bios update for the 7450? I have exactly the same problem. BIOS A19

2 Posts

August 24th, 2018 10:00

Any update on the 7470?  Several people at my organization with these and this issue.

2 Posts

September 4th, 2018 05:00

I've just noticed the the keyboard responds normally (no missing keystrokes) while I'm holding down the shift key. Obviously this isn't a fix but I wonder if anyone else has noticed the same thing.

2 Posts

September 5th, 2018 06:00

Any update on the Precision 5530? Still having abnormal keyboard typing issues (missed keys, etc) even with the latest BIOS release.

No Events found!