raf2222
1 Nickel

Re: Latitude 7480 keyboard issue (mostly missed keys)

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem with a dell latitude 7490.

It seems that there is no bios update yet for this model to fix the issue.

To dell support: Do you know if a fix is planned for this model?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi raf2222,

Can you send me a PM (click on the envelope at the top right of the page) with the service tag and confirmation of which BIOS version you have installed? Is it just one system you have seen the issue on?

Thanks

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
raf2222
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you Alasdair,

I sent to you a PM with the required information.

I however do not have any other 7490 model in the office to test this bug.

We have a lot of 7480 models and they all have the keyboard issue which is solved with the latest version of the BIOS.

The problem observed on the 7490 is exactly the same as the one observed on the 7480 (same behavior for missed keys)

0 Kudos
peshovec
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hello, 10x for your cooperation and apologies for late reply.

Updating BIOS to 1.9.3 helped a lot.

Updated almost immediately after release, so the below mentioned opinion can be considered real world one (e.g. it is based on enough long term experience:) )

shortcuts ctrl-shift works as expected, i am happily using ctrl-shft C/V/tab and they works properly. (10x for that). Also i did not see missed keys

There are still some minor issues when typing (to be honest the speed of typing is above the average, probably can be considered very fast)

reorder (swap) of keys.
  typing "grep" sometime produces: "grpe"; typing "very" sometimes produces "veyr"

ghost keys.
  typing "grep " (mention the space) sometimes produces: "gr'ep ", "gr'e p", "gr'p e", "gr' ep".
  e.g. the "'" (character ' ) is the ghost, also reordering is seen too.

0 Kudos
321_contact
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I can attest that I am experiencing the exact same issue on my 7490 (e.g. typing "init" results in "int"). This is occurring on BIOS version 1.2.8 (and it was also happening on 1.1.6).

My fingers are crossed for a BIOS update to fix us 7x90 folk, as right now the typing on this laptop is unacceptable. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@Community,

@DELL-Alasdair R brought me your report and I'm pleased to announce that I have replicated the missing key stroke behavior on the Latitude 7490. It happened for me mostly when I tried to type "that this". Sometimes I would get "that his". Missing "T".

I'm now reporting this to Dell engineering. I will reply back within the next 2 weeks with an update.

Note: XPS 13 9370 has a pending BIOS release for the next month for a similar issue.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

sivs
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi @DELL-Justin C,

I have the new Latitude 7490 and the same issue. BIOS was updated to the latest version (1.3.3), nothing changed.

Sometimes it misses some keys, like typing "ubuntu" I'm getting "ubntu". And sometimes it misses touchpad move events.

0 Kudos
321_contact
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@DELL-Justin C it's been about two weeks since your last post- any updates on this?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@321_contact,

Still not new updates for 7490. I do know that the BIOS team has been notified. We're just waiting to hear from them.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
rpg22
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I want to report that with the new bios my problem with Shift+Ctrl to change the language is still present. 

I do not have or had other problems with the keyboard before or after the update. 

Sorry, it was my bad. I had 2 times EN and it had to circulate around 3 languages while I thought they were 2...

0 Kudos