Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

15 Posts

August 27th, 2018 09:00

Latitude 7490 Wireless Issues...

We recently bought our CEO a Latitude 7490. He works from home once a week. When he uses it at home on his wireless, his download speeds are atrocious. He's lucky to get 0.03Mbps down/10Mbps up. All other computers/devices at his home download at regular speeds 100Mbps down/10Mbps up.

Windows was not updating anything at the time. 

When I test his wireless here at work, he gets 47Mbps down/47Mbps up. We've got 50 meg fiber here.

I asked him if the laptop was in sleep mode when he brought it home. Not every time. He's even tried restarting his computer. Still lousy download speeds. 

I checked the site and found there were no updates for his Intel 8265 wireless adapter. 

5.6K Posts

August 27th, 2018 19:00

@GFBC1 wrote:

We recently bought our CEO a Latitude 7490. He works from home once a week. When he uses it at home on his wireless, his download speeds are atrocious. He's lucky to get 0.03Mbps down/10Mbps up. All other computers/devices at his home download at regular speeds 100Mbps down/10Mbps up.

Windows was not updating anything at the time. 

When I test his wireless here at work, he gets 47Mbps down/47Mbps up. We've got 50 meg fiber here.

I asked him if the laptop was in sleep mode when he brought it home. Not every time. He's even tried restarting his computer. Still lousy download speeds. 

I checked the site and found there were no updates for his Intel 8265 wireless adapter. 

How is it with the Ethernet cable?

Just to rule out anything else.

15 Posts

August 29th, 2018 12:00

Wired connections are fine. He's now offsite and can't even host a simple GoTo Meeting Session. 

I think we may be looking at a bad wireless card. 

15 Posts

September 5th, 2018 08:00

Dell came out and swapped out the wireless card. Still have crappy download speeds. Updated to the latest Intel driver. Ran speed tests at work and Starbucks. Got awesome speeds. CEO takes it home, and gets horrible download speeds. He takes it to a Starbucks. Same problem, lousy download speeds. 

5.6K Posts

September 7th, 2018 05:00

@GFBC1 wrote:

Dell came out and swapped out the wireless card. Still have crappy download speeds. Updated to the latest Intel driver. Ran speed tests at work and Starbucks. Got awesome speeds. CEO takes it home, and gets horrible download speeds. He takes it to a Starbucks. Same problem, lousy download speeds. 

Sounds like time to follow the CEO home!   LOL

205 Posts

September 7th, 2018 14:00

I don't think he likes his laptop.

15 Posts

September 10th, 2018 10:00

So this problem appears to be Windows 10 related. In addition to the CEO's 7490, we experienced the problem on a pair of Latitude 5480. Resolution I found:

1.) Remove all WiFi connection profiles:
Click the Network icon on the lower right corner of your screen.
Click Network settings.
Click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
Under Manage known networks, click the network you want to delete.
Click Forget. The wireless network profile is deleted.

2.) Download and install the latest drivers from Intel:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/90141/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/intel-wireless-products/intel-wireless-8000-series.html

3.) Change the MTU setting to 1400 for the wireless card:
Open the command prompt as Administrator
Type/copy & paste the following command:
netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces
Note of the name of your wireless connection interface. All Dell laptops I have tried this with had Wi-Fi as the name for the wireless connection interface. This is important for the next step.
To change the MTU setting to 1400:
netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wi-Fi" mtu=1400 store=persistent

15 Posts

September 15th, 2018 10:00

Well, the slow download speed issue is back again. Showing on this 7490 and a 5580. Back to the drawing board.

1 Message

October 19th, 2018 06:00

Did you find a solution?

2 Posts

May 28th, 2021 02:00

I have the same issue. All drivers and windows 10 fully updated. Works for a while if you turn wifi on and off, or reboot. Then back to 1-3mbit/sec on a 250/100Mbit line. Google WiFi. Have a 7480 next to it, no problems.

1 Message

June 28th, 2021 06:00

im having this exact issue with a user right now, does anyone know any solutions?

No Events found!