Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2018 07:00

Latitude E5450 back cover coming out

I've just noticed that the back cover of my Dell Latitude E5450 is a bit raised with some internal component pushing it. It feels like something (maybe the battery) has been inflated and it does no longer have enough space to fit within the laptop.

A bit annoying since we bought it only 2 years ago. I've run the support assistant to check any failures but it resulted OK.

Anyone with the same issue? Do you know if the battery and cover should be changed and these are sold by Dell?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 08:00

Remove the cover and check the battery -- if it's swollen, get it out of the system (simple screwdriver needed) and recycle it immediately.  

At two years, the battery is probably end of life (you usually get 18-24 months out of a battery).

The cover should go back in place once the swollen battery is out -- it is flexible.  To order a battery, contact Dell Spare Parts (1-800-357-3355).

11 Posts

April 4th, 2018 08:00

Thanks - That was the problem: swollen battery.

1 Message

July 16th, 2018 07:00

I noticed the bottom case bulging out a few days ago on my E5450. The initial panic subsided once I read a few online posts like this. Sunday morning I removed the case bottom. At least Dell makes it easy to service, no special tools required, just a small Phillips. Sure enough the battery was quite swollen (bulging). Two more screws and a tug on the battery cable and removed the battery. 

My laptop is 2 years old, so just ordered a new Dell OEM part battery online through Parts People Online at about 40% less than the Dell Store price. While I wait for that my new laptop battery to arrive I'll continue to operate from my docking station just fine. Saved myself a lot of money by doing a few minutes research and doing it myself. On a difficulty score, this is about as easy as it gets. 

October 4th, 2018 14:00

I was glad to find this post. My Latitude looks exactly like this picture right now. It's 2 1/2 years old. I was about to yell at my daughter for stepping on my computer (which had just been in the floorboard in front of her in it's sleeve) when I quickly realized it could not have been her. :-) Same exact model. 

1 Message

November 6th, 2019 09:00

we had the same issue. However, when we installed the new battery it will not charge. Is it possible it fried something on MB. It will power up fine with charger connected.

No Events found!