Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

July 16th, 2018 02:00

Latitude E5580 external headset microphone not working

I have a Dell Latitude E5580. It has only one audio jack for a headset.

The problem is it won't recognize the microphone of the headset. When I select the headset option in the pop-up menu, it still uses the laptop's microphone.

When I plug the same headset to the docking station, it works and a USB microphone is displayed in the recording devices.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

July 17th, 2018 07:00

Hi @mlamat, it sounds like a configuration error for the audio input. In order to get a better understanding of the fault can you help me out with some more details about your setup - 

a) What model of headset are you using?
b) What kind of connector does it have - USB / stereo?
c) When you connect it to the system and the options appear, what options are listed for you to choose from?
d) What application are you using with the microphone i.e skype for business, skype etc?

Alan

3 Posts

July 19th, 2018 01:00

I'm happy to report that it works today.

I didn't change/install anything. I tried rebooting several times before yesterday, even reinstalling the driver. I have no idea why it didn't work then and it works now.

I'm using in-ear headphones with an integrated microphone with Skype 7.0 and OBS.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

July 19th, 2018 03:00

@mlamat that's good to hear that it is now working. I can't understand why it would all of a sudden work now. Keep an eye on it and if it happens again, please get back in touch and look into it further.

Alan

4 Posts

March 4th, 2019 06:00

I am having this same issue. I have tried several 3.55 mm headsets and they only work when connected to the Dell D6000 docking station. When connected to the 3.55 mm jack on the right side of the laptop only the audio out works. When plugged in, in Playback Devices I can see the 'Speakers/Headphones' as connected but in Recording Devices 'Jack Mic' is showing as not connected.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

March 5th, 2019 02:00

@JDIacobbo wrote:

I am having this same issue. I have tried several 3.55 mm headsets and they only work when connected to the Dell D6000 docking station. When connected to the 3.55 mm jack on the right side of the laptop only the audio out works. When plugged in, in Playback Devices I can see the 'Speakers/Headphones' as connected but in Recording Devices 'Jack Mic' is showing as not connected.

@JDIacobbo that does sound like a config error more than a potential hardware error. 

As you are using a 3.5 mm headset I would recommend you choose the correct type of device when you get the Windows prompt i.e Headset (with microphone).

Do you get that prompt when you connect the headset to the system?

If you check the recording devices, what options do you have listed and what one is set as the default from the list? (I tested my laptop there with my 3.5 mm headset and when I opened the Recording section I had Jack Mic showing as ready)

Alan

4 Posts

March 6th, 2019 11:00

@Dell-Alan D I do not get a Windows prompt when I plug in the headset.

Under Recording Devices I have the following:

Microphone (2- Dell USB Audio) - The jack in my USB-C dock

Transmit (2- Plantronics D100) - a usb wireless head set that I sometimes use, this is set as default currently as its the only head set that is working.

Jack Mic (Realtek Audio) - the jack on my laptop

Microphone Array (Realtek Audio) - build in mic on the laptop

When the headset is plugged in the Jack Mic reports as "Not plugged in".

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

March 7th, 2019 01:00

@JDIacobbo wrote:

@Dell-Alan D I do not get a Windows prompt when I plug in the headset.

Under Recording Devices I have the following:

Microphone (2- Dell USB Audio) - The jack in my USB-C dock

Transmit (2- Plantronics D100) - a usb wireless head set that I sometimes use, this is set as default currently as its the only head set that is working.

Jack Mic (Realtek Audio) - the jack on my laptop

Microphone Array (Realtek Audio) - build in mic on the laptop

When the headset is plugged in the Jack Mic reports as "Not plugged in".

@JDIacobbo can you try the following please to try and get that audio prompt back on the screen when a device is connected.

Press Windows key and then type "Control Panel". Go into the Hardware and Sounds settings
Look for Dell Audio near the bottom of the page
Click on Advanced and then Jack Information
Tick the box that says "Enable auto popup dialog when device has been plugged in"
Now connect the 3.5mm headset to the system and pick the headset with microphone option.

Does the system now see the headset with microphone as an option in the recording device section?

If it's still not showing up, you could try reinstalling the Realtek audio driver - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=88yyy&oscode=wt64a&productcode=latitude-15-5580-laptop

Do you have any other 3.5mm headsets you can also test on this system to determine if the audio jack port has failed on the motherboard?

Alan

4 Posts

March 7th, 2019 15:00

@Dell-Alan D 

I do not have "Dell Audio" listed under Hardware and Sound. The only Dell option I have is "Dell Touchpad".

I have tried several different 3.5 mm head sets. None work.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

March 8th, 2019 04:00

@JDIacobbo wrote:

@Dell-Alan D 

I do not have "Dell Audio" listed under Hardware and Sound. The only Dell option I have is "Dell Touchpad".

I have tried several different 3.5 mm head sets. None work.

@JDIacobbo  Did you try installing the audio driver I provided?

Alan

4 Posts

March 17th, 2019 06:00

Reinstalling the drivers fixed it for me. Thanks!

4 Posts

October 18th, 2019 05:00

Exactly the same problem I am having.

June 26th, 2020 05:00

Wow this is not obvious!

In my case (Latitude 5401) I installed Realtek sound drivers, installed MaxxAudioPro (from Windows store), then, after some back and forth, went to MaxxAudioPro app, section Playback, Advanced at the bottom: checked "Show pop-up dialog when device is connected" (which I unchecked earlier). Now when you plug headphones, headset or a microphone you can choose how the hardware should recognize it.

Can't plug a headset (to use the mic) and output audio through built-in speakers though.

July 27th, 2020 01:00

I own a E5580 and a Dell USB-C Dock.

Microphones weren't recognized on both devices.
The description from the following post resolved my issue:
https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/External-microphone-not-detected/m-p/7319047

2 Posts

October 14th, 2020 08:00

Hey bud  i had the same issue with my laptop  Dell were useless and were 0 help wanted me to format my pc ... not happening,  well  turns out the issues is super to fix 

1. Open  start bar and  look for  "Realtek Audio Console"

2. At the bottom left of the console you see a button called "Device advance settings"   click it.

3. Once in there  you will see "Enable jack detection when device is plugged in"  by default it is on.. turn it off   

4. then you will see another  setting  "connector Retasking"   Select "Headset (with microphone)" 

and you are done.  just reboot your PC and all should be good.

No Events found!