Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2018 05:00

Latitude E6400 powers 5 seconds then turn off

Hello, 

I have a problem with a Dell Latitude E6400. I didn't use the laptop in a while, and today when I tried to power up, it turned off immediately. I tried to remove the memory, batery, HDD the CMOS battery and the also the optical unit. It still doesn't work.

When powered on, nothing appears on the display, and the CPU Fan is running at maximum speed.

I also tried to keep the power button pressed for a couple of seconds with the laptop unplugged, just in case that the static energy would interact the components. 

I noticed the 3 lockup LEDs are blinking when powered on, I don't know what that means: I searched for that in the product's manual and it says "System board failure occured. Contact Dell Support". 

Can you help me find out what is wrong. The laptop wasn't powered at all in the last 3 months. Last time when I used it, I unplugged it suddenly because I was in a hurry. 

Thank you in advance for any information that can help.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 23rd, 2018 06:00

The way to reset the system is to disconnect the battery and unplug the adapter. Then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then reconnect everything and try to boot again. However the 3 flashing LEDs are a motherboard issue. When you pulled the CMOS battery, did you leave it out for at least 15 minutes? When you remove the memory are you hearing any beeps when you try to boot the system? You could also try replacing the CMOS battery. If when you remove the memory and boot then get beeps, try installing one memory module and reboot. Then try the other. Also try the memory in one of the DIMM slots then in the other slot. If in fact none of that has no effect, it is certainly possible that the motherboard needs replacement.

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2018 15:00

I tried unplugging the CMOS battery for 15 minutes, and I also tried pressing power button when disconnected, none of them brought any results. I don't hear any beeps, I tried to open only with motherboard connected (after removing CPU, optical units, HDD and memory) none of it had any effects. It still behaves the same.

Do you have any other ideas? 

Thank you.

5.6K Posts

December 23rd, 2018 16:00

@Blacky_D2 wrote:

I tried unplugging the CMOS battery for 15 minutes, and I also tried pressing power button when disconnected, none of them brought any results. I don't hear any beeps, I tried to open only with motherboard connected (after removing CPU, optical units, HDD and memory) none of it had any effects. It still behaves the same.

Do you have any other ideas? 

Thank you.

Remove the CPU? ? ? ?
Do you know what you are talking about?

How do you expect the laptop to work without the CPU?

Remove the CD/DVD drive (if any) and remove the hard drive.

Boot up and F12. If you can't get to the BIOS, your motherboard is toast.

Probably because you "unplugged it suddently" the last time you were using it because you were "in a hurry".

3 Posts

December 24th, 2018 16:00

I can't see anything on the screen, nor the BIOS or anything regardless of devices connected to it. Yes. I wanted to see the behavior of the laptop without the CPU, if that is fried than it shouldn't work, but I changed the CPU with a new one, which I know it is working, and still get the same result. So there is no problem with the current CPU, it should be something motherboard related.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 25th, 2018 20:00

It is starting to sound more and more like the motherboard may be the culprit. When you removed RAM did you hear any beeps? You should at least hear beeps if the motherboard BIOS sees no RAM. But with the LED diagnostic lights you originally mentioned, a motherboard is probably the only fix unfortunately.

5.6K Posts

December 26th, 2018 07:00

@Blacky_D2 wrote:

Yes. I wanted to see the behavior of the laptop without the CPU,

That's like saying you wanted to see the behavior of the car without the motor. LOL. Beyond ridiculous. .

1 Message

February 7th, 2019 15:00

I have laptop to fix with the same issue. You fix this somehow? Any tips ?

March 12th, 2021 12:00

Hello, can you share what was the fix about that problem on E6400?

Thanks

1 Message

December 4th, 2021 02:00

Umm bro The Problem Is With Your Battery I Too had The Same Problem, And Sometimes it would boot and say Time-Of-Day Clock Stopped Then When I say This I bought A new Cmos Battery Which Fixed My Problem For Me I Didnt change my Cmos battery For About 15yrs so i suggest you change your cmos battery. Hope This Helps

No Events found!