Highlighted
2 Bronze

Latitude E6400 with Windows 10 updated to 1803: sound now is crackling every 5 sec

Jump to solution

Microsoft updated to 1803 version and the audio is not working properly anymore... in any output I use.

I tried switching from IDT drivers to High Definition drivers (as suggested so many times in the past) but this time the result remains the same: the sound cracks every 5 seconds or so, periodically.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Latitude e6400, e6500 Windows 10 updated to 1803: no sound

Jump to solution

I have 2 Dell e6400's with sound problems after Windows 10 version 1803 update. I tried every solution I could find. I even thought it was the speakers so I replaced them still the same thing. I read somewhere on the internet to "disable" eSATA ports in bios, this worked perfect ! both of my e6400 laptops the sound was sputtering, jittering, poping, distorted, flickering webcam, bad sound and video playback on dvd's all fixed ! Just go into bios ( make sure your bios is updated to latest version ) scroll down to "System Configuration" \ "Miscellaneous Devices" click on this on the left side of the bios screen, on the right side of the screen uncheck the "Enable eSATA Ports" check box, click on "Apply" at the bottom of the screen,  exit bios, and that should fix it. This solution may work on other laptops. I don't know why it works ? It must be some kind of internal software conflict.

Important: If you ever load "Bios Defaults" you may have to uncheck "enable eSATA Ports" again.

View solution in original post

57 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Latitude E6400 with Windows 10 updated to 1803: sound now is crackling every 5 sec

Jump to solution

dof0036,

Unfortunately, Dell does not support Windows 10 on the Latitude E6400.Below are some links for resolving audio issues with your system.

How do I resolve audio issues on my Dell computer?

Sound/Audio Problems in Microsoft Windows

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Latitude E6400 with Windows 10 updated to 1803: sound now is crackling every 5 sec

Jump to solution

@DELL-Jesse Lwrote:

dof0036,

Unfortunately, Dell does not support Windows 10 on the Latitude E6400.Below are some links for resolving audio issues with your system.

How do I resolve audio issues on my Dell computer?

Sound/Audio Problems in Microsoft Windows

These links are not useful at all.

My question to the Community (NOT to Dell Support) is obviously related to the most recent upgrade made by MS Windows 10 since April the 30th.

With MS Windows 10 version 1709 my E6400 worked perfect until yesterday.

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Latitude e6400, e6500 Windows 10 updated to 1803: no sound

Jump to solution

I have 2 Dell e6400's with sound problems after Windows 10 version 1803 update. I tried every solution I could find. I even thought it was the speakers so I replaced them still the same thing. I read somewhere on the internet to "disable" eSATA ports in bios, this worked perfect ! both of my e6400 laptops the sound was sputtering, jittering, poping, distorted, flickering webcam, bad sound and video playback on dvd's all fixed ! Just go into bios ( make sure your bios is updated to latest version ) scroll down to "System Configuration" \ "Miscellaneous Devices" click on this on the left side of the bios screen, on the right side of the screen uncheck the "Enable eSATA Ports" check box, click on "Apply" at the bottom of the screen,  exit bios, and that should fix it. This solution may work on other laptops. I don't know why it works ? It must be some kind of internal software conflict.

Important: If you ever load "Bios Defaults" you may have to uncheck "enable eSATA Ports" again.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Latitude E6400 with Windows 10 updated to 1803: sound no

Jump to solution

Have people tried this last option?

I still use build 1709 that is still save, but when it works i will trie the upgrade.

Fred

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

YES!! It works. Thank you 🙂 ... unbelievable.... how...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Glad it helped. It blew my mind too, how much better the sound worked. It even fixed my Webcam and Video Playback !  I searched for hours, I even replaced the speakers in one of my Dell e6400's, that took several hours, and that didn't work. I don't remember where I found the solution. I'm pretty sure it"s a software conflict when you upgrade to the new version of Windows 10, Version 1803.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

4 Hours of searching then found the eSata BIOS setting and sound excellent!!! No idea why but glad I can get back to what I really want to be doing!!

Thanks for the efforts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Latitude e6400, e6500 Windows 10 updated to 1803: no sou

Jump to solution

Thanks man, you've saved the day! I had the same issue, tried to install many drivers without any change. Disabled eSATA in BIOS and now my Dell Latitude E6500 works fine in Win10! 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Latitude e6400, e6500 Windows 10 updated to 1803: no sou

Jump to solution

Glad it worked for you ! It's always nice to have sound and video. 

0 Kudos