Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 17th, 2018 21:00

Latitude E6410 - Can Windows 7 64 bits be installed ?

Hi all

One last question for today

My Latitude E6410 was originally sold with Windows 7 - 32 bits.

I bought it without hard drive (see my previous posts) and I am planning to install Windows 7 - 64 bits as soon as I can put the laptop seeing the HD.

1 - The 64 bit version Is it compatible with this laptop ?

2 - The software Key can be used the same one that came originally with the 32 bit W7 ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

All the best

Stilicho

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 19th, 2018 06:00

@Stilicho F"The software Key can be used the same one that came originally with the 32 bit W7 "

Hello. My area is laptop audio, definitely not operating systems, but i would be remiss should I not pass along my understanding. This is something that I picked up on this forum many years ago. I can't give a source for this information and must stress that it might be erroneous. The context was using Dell branded re installation dvds.

We were told that we could use any Dell re installation disc (not just the one that came with the laptop) to reinstall the same Windows edition that had been pre-installed on the laptop, or a lower edition, but not a higher edition.  In other words if the laptop had come with Windows Pro we could re-install Windows Pro or Windows Home, but if it came with Windows Home (32 bit) we could not use the dvd to install Windows Pro (64 bit).

Jphughan might offer some clarification or correction of my information, or you might private message Dr. Philip Yip. Philip is the expert on Windows installations.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 19th, 2018 12:00

Yes that's true.  I assumed that the OP intended to keep the same Windows edition and simply use the 64-bit version, not change editions.  But that's good to point out in case that wasn't clear.  64-bit is not considered a higher edition than 32-bit; it's just a different architecture, so for example a key for Windows 7 Home Premium can be used to activate the 32-bit or 64-bit version, but it would NOT be usable to activate Windows 7 Pro (32 or 64-bit), and I'm fairly sure it couldn't be used to activate Windows 7 Home Basic either.

February 17th, 2018 21:00

Congrats for your purchase.
Yes you can definitely install win 7 64 bit.
You can check the drivers and downloads page all compatible drivers are listed.
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-e6410/drivers

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 17th, 2018 22:00

Yes to both questions. :)

15 Posts

February 18th, 2018 19:00

Hi

Many thanks. Little by little I am gathering all the info

I need to put it going

All the best

S

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 19th, 2018 08:00

I never use Dell installation media, but I do NOT believe it is true that product keys can be used to activate any “downlevel” edition of Windows compared to the edition your key is assigned to. If you have a key for Pro, I believe you can only use it to activate Pro, not Home. Again, Dell installation media may be different, but I would be surprised. You also can’t activate older versions of the same edition. For example, a Windows 8 Pro key cannot be used to activate Windows 7. Downgrade rights are available to enterprise licenses and certain OEM licenses that are sold with them. They are not standard.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 19th, 2018 12:00

@jphughan"I do NOT believe it is true that product keys can be used to activate any “downlevel” edition of Windows compared to the edition your key is assigned to."

If that is true then certainly one couldn't go to a higher level edition. So my concern for @Stilicho F is to be aware of which edition you are planning to install as you go from 32 bits to 64 bits.

The Windows 7 editions were Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate, and some special purpose editions. I think a 64 bit version was available for Home Premium and upward.

15 Posts

February 25th, 2018 11:00

Hi all

Just an update.

I tried the laptop key with "Home edition" and a message came saying that the key was not for that kind of Windows.

Got a copy of Windows 7 Pro from a friend and it worked, it was installed but not yet activated.

Will try to activate later on for reasons that I will explain in my other post.

Many thanks

All the best

S.

No Events found!