Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

10 Posts

June 9th, 2020 16:00

Latitude E6420 XFR, Bluetooth module

I got a Latitude E6420 XFR laptop for my daughter to finish her final year of high school at home due to covid. It looks like it does not have Bluetooth? The Dell 375 module appears to be the first choice but are harder to find with a cable. Does anyone know if a Dell 380 module will run in the XFR. Running Windows 10. Thanks.

272 Posts

June 30th, 2020 05:00

Reply from another user on the Dell forums:

After researching this Bluetooth issue further, I learned that Dell did not necessarily install the Bluetooth module on all E6420 laptops. I didn't see the option shown on the online build sheet (hard to believe they didn't have Bluetooth by default).

I obtained the hardware via ebay and installed it (not plug-n-play nor for the computer hardware challenged, but possible if you're willing to take your laptop apart). Afterward, the Bluetooth then worked fine as it should. Again, why would Dell not make this Bluetooth standard rather than trying to save a couple of cents and cause such a headache for users?

My opinion: Dell has done this to save some money on the hardware and thus earn a few more bucks.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 30th, 2020 05:00

The DW380 (Bluetooth/WLAN) is validated on the Latitude E6420 XFR.

Once installed, test this DW380 Windows 10 driver.

July 1st, 2020 03:00

thank you for the reply. I think that this laptop was from a large corporate purchase and could be that the bluetooth was deleted to save cost or for information security. Same applies to the fact that there is also no camera installed.

once i find a bluetooth module i will attempt to install it and new drivers for Win10. i did install more more ram so i know how tightly packaged everything is "under the hood" on this machine. 

July 1st, 2020 03:00

thank you for the reply I will try the DW380 module and let you know how it goes.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 1st, 2020 06:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Deercreek541 

I have an E6420XFR that I am working on.

In the manual it only shows where the Bluetooth cable is connected..

On the unit I am working on it does not have that connector.

Does yours have the connector???

If not then us an Intel 6235 combo card.

Best regards,

U2

NOTE:

The E6420 XFR is upgradeable to 16GB memory.

And I use i7-2640M 2.8MHz for the CPU.

July 1st, 2020 10:00

i will have to double check for connection. xfr model doesnt just open and close so i was waiting to open it up again. 

i went with 8GB ram so i could keep the 4GB stick that was in it already.

thank you for the heads up.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 1st, 2020 11:00

@Deercreek541 

I have 1000+ of the E6420 XFR's.

I refurbish 5-10 a week.

And yes I know every screw it takes to remove that base.

While I'm working on the laptop I will only secure 4 screws on the corners and the captive screw.

Just one question, do you live in the US???

Regards,

U2

July 3rd, 2020 06:00

no Canada i live near Toronto. What makes you ask?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2020 12:00

@Deercreek541 

I have shipped upgrade kits for free in the past.

But the shipping costs out of the US, most of the times cost more than if the parts were just purchased in country.

Canada not to sure what it would be???

I would have to check next week.

Regards,

U2

July 3rd, 2020 21:00

ok thanks. i have a 380 module coming hopefully midweek and im having overheating issues so i will install module when i get it and redo heatsink while im under the hood. ive seen that the xfr runs hot normally but it shouldnt shut down like it does so im hoping fresh compound will cool it off enough. What area of the country are you in if you dont mind me asking?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2020 22:00

@Deercreek541 

Upgrading the CPU to a Quad Core does increase the temperature but not enough to cause a shutdown.

Is there a BLUE/PURPLE tint to the plastics around the CPU???

Do you have the nVidia GPU???

Saint Petersburg FL.

Regards,

U2

July 4th, 2020 10:00

yes it has nvidia gpu and no i dont see any discolouration around cpu. it runs hot and will shut down without notice other than swirling dots(like buffering/progress) as the screens goes black. wait for it to shutdown completely and fire it back up and it resumes exactly where it left off. i tried event veiwer but if i work on it i have to take it with me(i drive a tractor trailer cross border and try to self isolate by not going home often) and taking a teenagers laptop away is kinda like taking a juicey bone from a grumpy dog...so i havent had a lot of screen time with it. i want to do the bluetooth module and redo the paste on the heatsink and take it from there.

July 5th, 2020 01:00

also i can see what i think is the bluetooth connector behind and above the harddrive bay so i should be good once the dw380 gets here.

July 18th, 2020 20:00

@U2CAMEB4ME 

i redid heatsink on my e6420 xfr and CPU runs 70 C +/- at idle and will run up to 95 C before fan drops it back down. 3000 GPU temp runs same as CPU and nvidia 4200 GPU runs 10 C cooler. Do you know off hand if these temps are all right?

also looks like my shutdown issue is that it goes to locking screen (hibernation??) even while i am working on the screen. I read a forum thread(not Dell) that different brands of computers are having this issue with no resolution but it seems to be windows 10 after a certain update is when that starts happening. still looking into this. any thoughts?

my dw380 bluetooth came just after I left for Texas so thats not resolved yet. fingers crossed for when i get back. though im not looking forward to stripping xfr down just get under palm rest. any tips?

Thank you for your help so far and i will update you soon. 

July 23rd, 2020 20:00

@U2CAMEB4ME @RuskinF @DELL-Chris M 

finally got the DW380 bluetooth module for my E6420 XFR and installed it (pain in the butt. If you need to see where its located there are pictures in the dell manual. DC power cable section 34.1 pg 65 lower right corner of "discreet"inset is above the module screw yeah hard to see) The drivers loaded themselves when i booted up and all seems well.

thank you to all who helped i greatly appreciated the assistance

shutting down suddenly issue seems to be a windows 10/battery/charger glitch and i set- windows settings>system>power and sleep>additional power settings>change plan settings>change advanced power settings>battery>critical battery action>plugged in to "do nothing" which has worked so far.

No Events found!