Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

9 Posts

May 25th, 2019 23:00

Latitude E6430 Not Starting on Battery

I have a E6430 i5 2.7GHz that appears to work fine, passes all diagnostics, running windows 10 pro, and powers on and off fine when plugged in.

BUT, if the power cord is removed, it will run on battery, then if it is shut down, it will not turn on again.  Finally I found, if I hold the power button down for about 20 seconds it will power on okay every time.

When ON, pressing the power button will put it to sleep and then it will turn on immediately when pressing the power button. (On battery and on AC power)

It is just from a cold start, on battery only, the power button must be depressed for about 20 seconds before it will turn on.

Any thoughts?  I have not seen this type of issue before.

With a bit more testing I also found - 

When power jack is plugged in, it takes almost 10 seconds before the charging LED lights, then it blinks and comes back on to show it is charging, and then when you remove the power jack, it takes almost 15 seconds before the charging LED goes off.  This is also unusual

Thanks

Peter

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 26th, 2019 07:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Peterspa 

Go into your BIOS settings and make note of the Disk Drive configuration.

Next disconnect the AC and the Main Battery.

Remove the Base Cover.

Then disconnect the BIOS/RTC battery.

Connect the AC and power-on for just 5-10 seconds.

Good luck,

U2

9 Posts

May 26th, 2019 09:00

Thanks for your assistance.  I have been fixing laptops for a few years and have never come across this type of fault before.

Regards

Peter

9 Posts

Thanks, 

I forgot to mention I did try it with another good battery from an E6440 and still has the same issues, so it is not related to the battery.  I have also replaced the CMOS battery.

So I do suspect it could be a fault on the motherboard.

I would like to fix it, is it possible to get a schematic of the motherboard circuit from DC jack to battery to power switch?

If I have to, I can live with it, as it will reliably boot if I hold the power button down for 20 seconds when on battery only, and then it is normal when AC is plugged in, but would like to fix it if at all possible.

Regards

Peter

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

The obvious thing to consider is that you need a new replacement battery on this old model.

I just checked and a genuine Dell battery is too expensive for an old laptop. Try removing the battery and using the adapter alone to make the laptop a desktop replacement. Use it like that until you can buy a new computer.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@Peterspa 

Yup.

Sounds like you have tried everything that can be done.

And yes it does sound like a system board fault.

Sorry but Dell does not publish any schematics.

The last thing I can think of is make sure the battery contacts on the system board are clean???

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@Peterspa 

Wow, that's tough???

Sounds like the battery could be faulty.

Do you have an "Original/OEM" battery or a "China Knock-Off"

Regards,

U2

EDIT: $34.15 Free Shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-97Wh-9-Cell-Battery-for-Dell-Latitude-E5430-E5530-E6430-E6430-ATG-E6530/282949768536?hash=item41e11ed558%3Ag%3Am9IAAOSwRQlXfJeG&LH_ItemCondition=3&frcectupt=true

9 Posts

Thank you for your response.

I just tried following your advice, and unfortunately there was no change, when on battery it still requires the power pressed for around 20 seconds before it will start.

It seems to be hardware related, but all tests pass successfully.

If performs normally when AC adapter is plugged in.  It is only when it is on battery only, and only from off, that the power button must be depressed for around 20 seconds to start.  

Regards

Peter

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@Peterspa 

Same here.

My techs go through 100's of the E6xxx series laptops every week.

And that is not something we test for.

Looks like meeting come Tuesday to discuss this topic???

Good luck,

U2

EDIT: Do you just repair Dell or others???

9 Posts

May 26th, 2019 19:00

FYI, I did clean the motherboard battery connector, no difference.

Also the 2 batteries I have tried are genuine Dell batteries.

I also found that sometimes repeated pressing of the  power button and then holding it, can make it boot in less than 10 seconds.  It almost seems like there is some residual charge needing to be drained before it will boot.

The laptop internally appeared to have a residue of a slight liquid spill near the top edge of the keyboard and any residue I found I did clean carefully with some pure alcohol.  I have checked the motherboard carefully and see no obvious issues.

I have also repaired HP and Lenovo laptops.

Regards

Peter

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 27th, 2019 07:00

@Peterspa 

This is something you will not find from Dell.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/

HP has the best support out of them all.

Here you can find FRU Remove/Replace videos, BIOS Simulators, Part Locators, System Board viewers etc.

Dell could learn a few things from HP's Manuals and Media support.

Regards,

U2

9 Posts

May 28th, 2019 06:00

Thanks

9 Posts

June 1st, 2019 20:00

Thanks for your help.

I had one more question, I have come across a number of Dell Latitude laptops, E7440, E6520, and others where they short the DC input causing the power adapter to shutdown immediately when plugged in.  I assume there is a failed component like a transistor on the input power circuit that has shorted to ground.  In the past I have replaced the motherboard, but it seems like such a waste when it is probably just a small component failing, especially for motherboards with the cpu soldered and not removeable.

Do your guys fix the boards, or replace them? 

Is this due to poor design or bad components?

Regards

Peter

9 Posts

October 23rd, 2019 23:00

I have a Latitude E5270, warranty ran out  3 months ago, but now when I plug in the charger, the light on the charger cord immediately goes out, only comes back after power cycling the charger.  There appears to be a short on the input to the laptop motherboard.

Is this fixable?  looks like a faulty component on the motherboard power supply input.  I have seen a similar issue on other Dell laptops, but have not found a solution.

Thanks

Peter

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 24th, 2019 03:00

@Peterspa 

Try "Shotguning" the laptop first.

That means disconnect everything from the system board except the power connector.

With everything disconnected connect the AC adapter.

If the light on the AC goes out then you have a shorted system board.

If the light stays on then it is something you disconnected from the system board that is causing the AC adapter light to go out.

If the light stays on disconnect the AC and connect ONE of the things you disconnected.

If the light stays on go on to the next thing you disconnected and repeat.

If at any time the light goes out then that would be the component that has failed.

Best regards,

U2

9 Posts

October 24th, 2019 05:00

Thank you U2 for the reply, yes tried that and just now made sure all was removed, even the CMOS battery, cpu fan, keyboard, etc and it still shorts the charger.  I did try the DC cable from jack to motherboard alone and it is okay, so the short is definitely on the motherboard.  Previously on other laptops I have just replaced the motherboard, but with this one being not too old and having the CPU soldered in,  makes it more expensive.

I remember reading somewhere that it can be one of the small transistors in the power regulation circuit near the DC connection to the motherboard, but that is difficult without specific part numbers and position on the motherboard.

Regards

Peter 

No Events found!