uniquehandle
1 Nickel

Latitude E7240 wiped; need boot media to access bios?

I have a Dell Latitude E7240 that was "wiped" by the donating firm. I get

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

when I start  up. Delete key doesn't get me to the bios, which is what I expected. Do I need windows 8 or other boot media in order to get to the bios? The goal is to see if there is a recovery partition from which I can restore the factory default settings.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nyc10036
3 Zinc

Re: Latitude E7240 wiped; need boot media to access bios?

@uniquehandle wrote:

I have a Dell Latitude E7240 that was "wiped" by the donating firm. I get

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

when I start  up. Delete key doesn't get me to the bios, which is what I expected. Do I need windows 8 or other boot media in order to get to the bios? The goal is to see if there is a recovery partition from which I can restore the factory default settings.

What made you think that the DEL key gets you to BIOS????  Pulling it out of a hat?

F12

BIOS is not going to tell you anything about a recovery partition.

0 Kudos
uniquehandle
1 Nickel

No hat...just most of the workstations I work with get to bios via Del.

Didn't expect bios to tell anything about the recovery partition; just expected it to show up via del.

0 Kudos
nyc10036
3 Zinc

@uniquehandle wrote:

No hat...just most of the workstations I work with get to bios via Del.

Didn't expect bios to tell anything about the recovery partition; just expected it to show up via del.

You should Google this.

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

The key trip into setup is F2, not del.  Chances are the drive has been completely wiped clean.  If so you'll need recovery media (assuming the systems arrived with a Windows license key or embedded on the mainboard).  If the OS is Windows 7, note that you can no longer obtain recovery media for that OS from Dell or Microsoft.  If it was Windows 8 or 10 and there's a sticker on it for the OS, it means the system board shoudl have a license key and you can get the media from Dell or Microsoft to reload.  If there's no sticker, that's a different story - in that case you'll need to purchase a full license key for Windows 10 (Windows 8 is no longer available).

0 Kudos
uniquehandle
1 Nickel

Hi ejn63
I didn't see your post until now because the notices were routed to spam.
Yeah, using the servicetag I found that Dell offers both windows 7 and windows 8.1 images. I chose the 8.1, fewer updates to go through, and it has worked out fine. I didn't realize that Dell offered this and it's great. I did not find a hidden recovery partition, the wipe was complete.
0 Kudos